italianlemons
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My daughter was awarded English Lit D and Film studies C, A level last year (exams cancelled) she took GCSE Art but failed due to mental health reasons. She would like to go to university to ultimately study costume design or something to do with textiles. She decided the best thing to do would be a Art and Design foundation year, which I believe in most cases is actually a diploma. However, it seems there are no universities that accept her grades, especially without an Art background. We thought initially the foundation created the portfolio for the start of the undergraduate course! Is there anything else she can do to get into a university studying art and Design foundation?

Thanks all
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by italianlemons)
My daughter was awarded English Lit D and Film studies C, A level last year (exams cancelled) she took GCSE Art but failed due to mental health reasons. She would like to go to university to ultimately study costume design or something to do with textiles. She decided the best thing to do would be a Art and Design foundation year, which I believe in most cases is actually a diploma. However, it seems there are no universities that accept her grades, especially without an Art background. We thought initially the foundation created the portfolio for the start of the undergraduate course! Is there anything else she can do to get into a university studying art and Design foundation?

Thanks all
Most people taking an art and design foundation will study at a local FE college NOT at a university. It's a bridging course between A levels and degree.

Your daughter needs to talk to local FE colleges about her options.
It might be that she would be better off taking an Extended Diploma in art and design (a 2 year course equivalent to 3 A levels) if she has no art and design qualifications at all. FAD courses are designed to build up a portfolio - not to create one from scratch.
italianlemons
Rep:
I see. Thanks very much. So that would mean carry on living at home and I presume she/I would need to fund this ourselves? She is 19 as she took a gap year. Thanks again.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by italianlemons)
I see. Thanks very much. So that would mean carry on living at home and I presume she/I would need to fund this ourselves? She is 19 as she took a gap year. Thanks again.
Funding for an extended diploma is something she would need to ask her college about.

Funding for FAD (and possibly for the Extended Diploma too - I'm afraid that's outside my knowledge!) has a loan available (Advanced Learner Loan) for 19+ students that covers the tuition fees for the course. There's no living cost loan available. That's why most students study at a local FE college as it's affordable. There are sometimes bursaries available to help cover some living costs but they're small in comparison to university level living cost loans.

If she can work on developing a portfolio during her gap year then that might help her accelerate her learning (and make a 1 year course an option instead of a 2 year course) - although I think I'd still encourage the 2 year extended diploma route personally - it will give her the most time to explore and develop before committing to a specific degree. Whatever she ends up studying her portfolio will be key to both her application to university and her future career in creative industries so the sooner she starts building her skills and experimenting creatively the better - there's no downside!
italianlemons
Rep:
Thanks so much for your advice, very much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.26%
October 2021 (220)
45.64%
November 2021 (54)
11.2%
December 2021 (62)
12.86%
January 2021 (55)
11.41%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.51%