The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Walaikum Salam, Jazak'Allah for the beautiful words sister :smile: Also congratulations on your wedding! May Allah (swt) give you a happy married life. Ameen.

May I ask which websites you used?

Ameen sis.

Pure matrimony sis.
I’m sorry your marriage hasn’t worked out. I just wanted to add, it’s getting increasingly harder to find a spouse nowadays SubhanaAllah. Somebody that’s genuine, I believe because both potentials are quite fixated upon the dunya(worldly) aspect rather then the Deen(religious aspects).

Just my opinion upon the matter. Do feel free to correct me should I be wrong. 😊
arranged marriages scare mee. What other websites would u recommend?

Thank you!! you're right, happiness is what matters!

I think arranged marriages are more successful than online dating. This is because family members or family friends ( whoever is looking for you ) will know what you are looking for a in a partner. Whereas with online dating sites it is easy to manipulate via text or lie. Also arranged marriage can only go further with your consent, so if you don’t like the guy you have every right to reject.

I don’t know much about Muslim dating websites, I only know of some due to my friends going on them. So maybe google is your safe bet. My friends have told me the more useful dating sites are the ones where you have to pay rather than the free ones, maybe that might help and that muzmatch is crap.

Best of luck though!
arranged marriages scare mee. What other websites would u recommend?

Thank you!! you're right, happiness is what matters!

There are also WhatsApp groups where you can send your marriage CV in, to get in them you may have to start being friendly with aunties or ask girls similar age to you.
I think arranged marriages are more successful than online dating. This is because family members or family friends ( whoever is looking for you ) will know what you are looking for a in a partner. Whereas with online dating sites it is easy to manipulate via text or lie. Also arranged marriage can only go further with your consent, so if you don’t like the guy you have every right to reject.

I don’t know much about Muslim dating websites, I only know of some due to my friends going on them. So maybe google is your safe bet. My friends have told me the more useful dating sites are the ones where you have to pay rather than the free ones, maybe that might help and that muzmatch is crap.

Best of luck though!

Having had the experience of both, I will agree to disagree. I was having arranged marriages since the age of 18, but I kept rejecting.

When I turned 23, I turned to the internet, not for marriage purposes(although Alhamdulillah it lead to that) but at the time I just wanted to be listened to, as I was going through a lot.

My first time I got a compatible match. Alhamdulillah. I’m obviously not stating everyone should rush off to the net to find their other half because that’s not how it works: what I’m saying is it depends on preferences.

One thing I dislike about arranged marriages is, your parents are not going to be living with you spouse and your in-laws: therefore, it’s best if one seeks for themselves, because you know the type you’re looking for.

I just thought I’d give a perspective of both worlds InshaAllah.
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Having had the experience of both, I will agree to disagree. I was having arranged marriages since the age of 18, but I kept rejecting.

When I turned 23, I turned to the internet, not for marriage purposes(although Alhamdulillah it lead to that) but at the time I just wanted to be listened to, as I was going through a lot.

My first time I got a compatible match. Alhamdulillah. I’m obviously not stating everyone should rush off to the net to find their other half because that’s not how it works: what I’m saying is it depends on preferences.

One thing I dislike about arranged marriages is, your parents are not going to be living with you spouse and your in-laws: therefore, it’s best if one seeks for themselves, because you know the type you’re looking for.

I just thought I’d give a perspective of both worlds InshaAllah.

Mashallah that’s great that you found someone

I do agree that your parents do not know what your spouse is like in terms of deen and personality, however online relationship these days are either a hit or miss. Friends and family of mine have used Muslim dating sites however have found out later that the guy in the relationship has been lying about their life. On the internet it is easy to portray as someone your not.

I think arranged marriage is the last option if you cannot find someone and it is somewhat easier as your family can find you someone from the same background and socio economic group as you. Both are either hit and miss but have pros and cons.
Get ur parents to join them WhatsApp rishta groups lmao
I have finished uni and there is no other way I can get to know new people.

Since I have never dated anyone and I have never been in a relationship before, I would like to have a guy who never did inappropriate stuff with other girls (okay, so relationships are okay but I am talking about the other stuff, you get me). Cuz I personally think it would not be fair on me.

I have also heard about a girl who got married to someone and didnt know that guy had STDs which he then passed on to her. So this is also another reason why I dont want that.

I feel you, I've finished uni too I'm 22 and there's no prospective Muslim girls. Been looking for months lol

Best of luck though!

tbh I hear a lot of negative stories about marriages in general nowadays and it's scary cuz you will never know how a person is like until you live with them which is not allowed in Islam before marriage. Things have changed a lot compared to before, like before things used to be easier, but now I feel like it is so hard to find someone decent and it's scary.

Like I really wish I knew someone from when I was younger so I would have known them really well and I would have grown up with them (like children's of my parents' friends), but all of my mum's friends have children who are either too old or too young compared to me.

I know I shouldnt be rushing things, but my parents are giving me too much pressure cuz a lot of their friends are giving them pressure saying it is harder for girls to get married after their mid twenties etc :frown: otherwise I wouldnt even think about marriage right now
tbh I hear a lot of negative stories about marriages in general nowadays and it's scary cuz you will never know how a person is like until you live with them which is not allowed in Islam before marriage. Things have changed a lot compared to before, like before things used to be easier, but now I feel like it is so hard to find someone decent and it's scary.

Like I really wish I knew someone from when I was younger so I would have known them really well and I would have grown up with them (like children's of my parents' friends), but all of my mum's friends have children who are either too old or too young compared to me.

I know I shouldnt be rushing things, but my parents are giving me too much pressure cuz a lot of their friends are giving them pressure saying it is harder for girls to get married after their mid twenties etc :frown: otherwise I wouldnt even think about marriage right now

It’s typical, I don’t know what culture your from but I’m south Asian so people think that 26 is the oldest when in reality it’s not. At the end of the day Allah SWT has planned your partner so don’t stress, I understand that parental pressure is very stressful but at the moment make sure your career is coming along. Your family or their friends are not going to be the one that live with your spouse. You don’t want to be in a dilemma where you just rush it and end up in an unhappy marriage.

Snap, a lot of friends of family are much younger than me :frown:
It’s typical, I don’t know what culture your from but I’m south Asian so people think that 26 is the oldest when in reality it’s not. At the end of the day Allah SWT has planned your partner so don’t stress, I understand that parental pressure is very stressful but at the moment make sure your career is coming along. Your family or their friends are not going to be the one that live with your spouse. You don’t want to be in a dilemma where you just rush it and end up in an unhappy marriage.

You are totally right! Thanks for the nice words :smile:
I am assuming you are a guy, cuz if you are, then it's considered to be okay to get married around late twenties and early thirties FOR GUYS ONLY (for South Asians). For girls the pressure increases as soon as you are 20 :frown: I really wish I was a guy instead
I'm muslim girl too, late 20's and unmarried, I can't stand the pressure and disagree with it. Why should my self worth be defined by whether or not a man loves me. I'm an educated woman with a degree (in maths) who is more than capable of supporting herself. Is marriage my only value in life?

Also please make sure you have a good career and a secure source of income before marriage. You never know what could happen. Many marriages don't work our for various reasons. So if it breaks you need to to be able to rely on your own 2 feet. Please don't rush despite what parents say, make sure he's the right person for you and you love him.
I have finished uni and there is no other way I can get to know new people.

Since I have never dated anyone and I have never been in a relationship before, I would like to have a guy who never did inappropriate stuff with other girls (okay, so relationships are okay but I am talking about the other stuff, you get me). Cuz I personally think it would not be fair on me.

I have also heard about a girl who got married to someone and didnt know that guy had STDs which he then passed on to her. So this is also another reason why I dont want that.

Personally I say we make an insta GC of the ppl on this thread and find one lol
I'm muslim girl too, late 20's and unmarried, I can't stand the pressure and disagree with it. Why should my self worth be defined by whether or not a man loves me. I'm an educated woman with a degree (in maths) who is more than capable of supporting herself. Is marriage my only value in life?

Also please make sure you have a good career and a secure source of income before marriage. You never know what could happen. Many marriages don't work our for various reasons. So if it breaks you need to to be able to rely on your own 2 feet. Please don't rush despite what parents say, make sure he's the right person for you and you love him.

PRSOM.
Quite a few of my female friends got married as teenagers, with or without parental agreement.
Both my grandmothers were married as teens and had children by the time that they were 20.
So often early marriage for healthy people is emphasized as a matter of family tradition, social expectation or a religious obligation amongst highly traditionalist communities.
I dated a pious hijabi. Didn't work out. She was way too conservative and romantically reserved. It was bland and boring.:bored:
(edited 3 years ago)

I totally agree with you and this is also what I have always thought. It's just my parents' pressure that is making me stressed and worried. I definitely think our worth is not defined by whether or not we have a man. And also marriage is not everything and I totally agree with that. Are your parents saying anything at the moment?

ikr, I wish they had died down cuz cmon we are in 2021. There are some parents that dont follow those traditions anymore, but sadly my parents aren't from that group :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending