shakurmaria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Explain how organisms are classified and organized taxonomy. I have hard time on how to answer this question.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi sorry you have not had any help for so long!

Let me try to guide you. The classification of living organisms is in an orderly fashion in a hierarchy of groups.
At the top we have the kingdoms: Animalia, Plants, Fungi, Protista.

Then each of these is divided into the next level of hierarchy:
Animals: Vertebrata and Invertebrata depending on whether they have a spinal column or not.

Invertebrata then branch into:

Coelenterata, Arthropoda [animals with jointed legs [Greek arthro = joint; pod = foot/leg]: Arachnida [spiders], Insecta, Crustacea], Nematoda [roundworms], Platyhelminths [tapeworms], etc.

Vertebrata branch into [starting from water-living]: Pisces [fish], Amphibia [land + water - Greek ampho/ambi = both as in amphoteric/ambidextrous], Reptilia, then taking off into the air Aves [birds] then Mammalia {us].

Creatures/plants within each group have certain features in common e.g. birds have feathers; reptiles and birds lay eggs; mammals feed their young with breast milk and nurture the foetus within their bodies then give birth, also have hair.

Mammals are further divided by other features e.g. marsupials have a pouch to carry young..

These different levels have names e.g. Family, Order, Genus, Species. The whole hierarchy has a mnemonic as a memory aid - ask your teacher. The generic name is written in italics with the first word [genus] capitalized followed by the species name e.g. Musca domestica is the housefly; Plasmodium falciparum is one malaria parasite. Leo leo is lion.

Hope this helps!
Be safe!

M.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
shakurmaria

Hi hope all is ok - I answered your Q a week ago, but you have disappeared!

Best wishes!
M
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (63)
4.62%
Uncertainty around my education (212)
15.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (151)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (192)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (59)
4.32%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (78)
5.71%
Loneliness (123)
9.01%
Financial worries (47)
3.44%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (63)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (63)
4.62%
Lack of real life entertainment (72)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (118)
8.64%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (124)
9.08%

Watched Threads