Gcse’s vs igcse’s - whcih is harder??

Watch
D7654321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So are igcse’s actually harder them gcses because they r international exams. Also private schools tend to igcse’s so perhaps? Can anyone clear this up!!
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It’s easier to achieve the top grades at IGCSE, that’s one of the factors that explain why private schools tend to use them. I’ve heard some teachers say that it depends on the subject however - i.e. IGCSE English is easier than GCSE, but IGCSE science is harder
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
They pretty much equivalent. Schools pick the GCSE specification they like best from a range of choices, and private schools may opt for IGCSE for some subjects in the same way. To expect there to be a clear difference in difficulty between GCSE and IGCSE across all subjects is far too simplistic.

A few years ago quite a few private schools picked Science IGCSEs (generally Edexcel) because they didn't have time consuming coursework of GCSEs and they thought they were a better preparation for A level but (in the 3 years when they were allowed) lots of state schools picked Cambridge English Language because they felt it delivered the grades they thought candidates deserved more consistently. Since then both have been reformed and you can't reasonably consider any comparisons of the old specifications as relevant any more.
D7654321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thanks. But if the selective private schools tend to do IGCSE’s. The grade boundaries will be higher, because the concentration of bright people due to some private schools being selective?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.94%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (10)
14.71%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
14.71%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
11.76%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (26)
38.24%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
17.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise