The Student Room Group

Help mature student -Northumbria uni design year entry requiements

I’m a mature student and have many qualifications but no ucas points as such. Do you know if Northumbria take a 1 year HNC in art and design for entry or a pass in foundation diploma art and design for there design foundation year? I don’t mind doing a foundation diploma from another institution first just to get on the foundation year as I know Northumbria have a excellent reputation. Failing that it’s an access to he in art and design but prefer not doing the access to he course and doing a different route. Any help appreciated thanks
Original post by Janey44
I’m a mature student and have many qualifications but no ucas points as such. Do you know if Northumbria take a 1 year HNC in art and design for entry or a pass in foundation diploma art and design for there design foundation year? I don’t mind doing a foundation diploma from another institution first just to get on the foundation year as I know Northumbria have a excellent reputation. Failing that it’s an access to he in art and design but prefer not doing the access to he course and doing a different route. Any help appreciated thanks

Hi, you say you have no UCAS points, but qualifications? Just wondering if you've checked your qualifications with the UCAS points checker? https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator = this should help you. If not then I would consider contacting UCAS to see how your qualifications stack up with applicating and they should give you some advice on it :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for reply I contacted ucas and they didn’t know if a hnc would be a entry requirement for the foundation degree, or if Northumbria would accept a art and design foundation year from another institution for entry. Just trying to figure out the best way to get 80 ucas points! I not so keen to do the access to he in art and design course
Original post by Janey44
Thanks for reply I contacted ucas and they didn’t know if a hnc would be a entry requirement for the foundation degree, or if Northumbria would accept a art and design foundation year from another institution for entry. Just trying to figure out the best way to get 80 ucas points! I not so keen to do the access to he in art and design course

If I were you I would email the Northumbria admissions or course director (there should be an email address somewhere on their course page) and tell them your exact qualifications, personal situation and courses you are considering, and then ask them any questions you have. They are the best people to advise you. For mature students, some universities have different entry requirements and just require a portfolio because you might have experience or skills that they count as equivalent to A-levels or whatever. However, some aren't flexible and require very specific qualifications. So it's best to ask directly.
Reply 4
Original post by Still-Thinking
If I were you I would email the Northumbria admissions or course director (there should be an email address somewhere on their course page) and tell them your exact qualifications, personal situation and courses you are considering, and then ask them any questions you have. They are the best people to advise you. For mature students, some universities have different entry requirements and just require a portfolio because you might have experience or skills that they count as equivalent to A-levels or whatever. However, some aren't flexible and require very specific qualifications. So it's best to ask directly.

Thank you. Yes I’ve asked admissions and so far I need the 80 ucas points, i have lots of other qualifications and life experience and a director for my own company so it’s a shame mature students are not considered who Show desire and commitment Like myself. Nevermind it may have to be a foundation in art and design or access to he. I know to gain 80 from access to he you need merits but foundation just a pass so not sure what to do but there’s plenty of time to decide!

Quick Reply

Latest