The Student Room Group

Early Decision/ Early Action to Ivy League from UK

Hey, could someone explain what the Early Decision/ Early Action actually is - cause it kind of confused me - and how you apply? (if you're an international student studying in the US extra info or tips would be much appreciated :smile: )
Early action and early decision are methods of applying to US universities in order to get an admission decision earlier than normal. For example, Yale usually releases its acceptances or rejections some time in march, however, students who have applied early have already gotten their decisions/results sometime in December. There are usually two or three types, of early action/decision. One is sometimes called a binding early decision, this one forces you to attend the university if you are accepted to it early, for example Columbia. Not all schools do this type so only apply to a school with binding early decision if it is a school you will definitely want to attend. Make sure to read a university's rules for their early decision to find out if it is binding. Another type is called restricted early action which only allows you to apply early to one school and no other schools, some schools doing this type may allow you apply early to other state schools but not private unis. the difference between this and the first one is that if you get into this school early, you are not forced to attend. Yale and Harvard both do this. Another type allows you to do whatever you want, you can apply early to these schools, along with other ones and if you get in you don't have to attend. MIT does this and I think Stanford as well. I hope this helps, go ahead and ask any further questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending