Danyal124
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Could someone explain this make no sense why this works as a buffer answer is not helping muchName:  A6C0A872-FCFC-4BD5-AEE0-A869EEA272F2.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  37.9 KB
iluvcats
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
An acidic buffer is a weak acid + one of its salts. This means that we need HA (acid) remaining in the solution to form the buffer.

We know (from the fact that it's a monoprotic acid) that the acid + base reacts in a 1:1 ratio in this neutralisation reaction, therefore if we look at moles in each condition:
X: all salicylic acid used up
Y: moles cancel out
Z: salicylic acid left in solution

Z is the only one with salicylic acid left in solution, and therefore HA that can form a buffer solution.
Danyal124
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
very clear now could you just go to further detail on how a monoprotic acid is 1;1 reaction is it because 1 hydrogen react with alkali part of naoh
iluvcats
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Danyal124)
very clear now could you just go to further detail on how a monoprotic acid is 1;1 reaction is it because 1 hydrogen react with alkali part of naoh
Yes. Monoprotic means 1 H+ in the acid e.g. HCl, HNO3 ; diprotic would be 2H+ e.g. H2SO4. It's 1:1 because 1 mole of monoprotic has 1 H+, which can only react with 1 OH- from NaOH in a neutralisation reaction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
28.74%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
35.63%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
9.2%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.45%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.75%
I’m starting to consider my university options (12)
13.79%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (2)
2.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.15%

Watched Threads