Danyal124
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Could someone please explain how to do this question very confusedName:  139C1C57-E08E-43B5-82C3-C599DA847565.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  20.0 KB
Last edited by Danyal124; 8 months ago
BDavies1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
buffer is always a mixture of a week acid and its conjugate base
The definition of acid/base conjugate pairs is " two species which can be interconverted by the addition/removal of a single proton"
Think about ethylamine CH2CH2NH2 and its possible acid/base conjugate pair?
Try removing a proton from it. Have you ever come across CheCH2 NH- ...probaly not,
Try adding a proton to it. You get CH3CH2NH3+ ...hopefully this will look like something you have seen before (if you have done the amines topic already)

So a buffer can be made by mixing CH3CH2NH2 and CH£CH2NH3+ together.

You can't just have a positive ion like CH3CH2NH3+ by itself. It must come with a negative ion- like Cl- or Br-, so the organic compound you should add to CH3CH2NH2 to make a buffer is CH3CH2NH3+Cl-.

(Note the question specifically says ORGANIC compound. The practical way of making this buffer is to add HCl (an inorganic compound) to CH3CH2NH2 to convert some of it as shown in the equation: CH3CH2NH2 + HCl--> CH3CH2NH3+.

If it's any consolation, I had this Q in one of my end of topic tests for acid/base equilibria. I took it out in the end as nobody ever got the right answer!It's a little bit leftfield of the acid/base topic and is particularly difficult if you haven't looked at the amines topic for a while.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (265)
57.73%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (61)
13.29%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (40)
8.71%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.36%

Watched Threads