Jobs I can get right after graduating from a Biomedical science degree?

Watch
mwilli52
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everybody,

My current plan is to graduate from my biomedical science program in Canada and apply to a job in England and work for three years in order to meet the three year residency requirement and then apply to med school in the UK. I already have healthcare experience through my volunteering in Canada, but would obviously like to get even more.

However, I am wondering what sort of jobs I would be eligible for right after graduating with just a Bsc in biomedical science? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Last edited by mwilli52; 4 weeks ago
DiamondDia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well since you’re in Canada I’m not sure your degree would be recognised by the UK, if you wanted to work as a Biomedical Scientist (which is what you could do after you graduate) your course would have to be recognised and accredited by the IBMS (Institute of Biomedical Science) here in the UK. You should research your circumstances before you go ahead with your plan just to make sure. As well as going to Medical School here, make sure your degree is recognised by the UK and is valid to be used as your entrance into Graduate Entry Medicine or standard entry Medicine. Since you’re planning on doing medicine, you’ll probably need some sort of clinical work experience so I’d advice volunteering in a hospital like NHS hospitals and work as a healthcare assistant ideally (which you don’t need any qualification for which is good). Some Medical Schools here prefer you to have studied your degree a certain amount of years before you apply so don’t postpone your application too far. Hope this helped <3
mwilli52
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiamondDia)
Well since you’re in Canada I’m not sure your degree would be recognised by the UK, if you wanted to work as a Biomedical Scientist (which is what you could do after you graduate) your course would have to be recognised and accredited by the IBMS (Institute of Biomedical Science) here in the UK. You should research your circumstances before you go ahead with your plan just to make sure. As well as going to Medical School here, make sure your degree is recognised by the UK and is valid to be used as your entrance into Graduate Entry Medicine or standard entry Medicine. Since you’re planning on doing medicine, you’ll probably need some sort of clinical work experience so I’d advice volunteering in a hospital like NHS hospitals and work as a healthcare assistant ideally (which you don’t need any qualification for which is good). Some Medical Schools here prefer you to have studied your degree a certain amount of years before you apply so don’t postpone your application too far. Hope this helped <3
Hi,
Thank you for your response. I wasn't aware that there some schools need you to have completed your degree a set amount of years before applying. Do you happen to know what these limits are and which schools have them? I do not plan to work beyond the three years and those three years hope that won't impact my chances.
DiamondDia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mwilli52)
Hi,
Thank you for your response. I wasn't aware that there some schools need you to have completed your degree a set amount of years before applying. Do you happen to know what these limits are and which schools have them? I do not plan to work beyond the three years and those three years hope that won't impact my chances.
I wouldn’t worry too much about it some prefer you to have the degree within like 4 years I think I saw somewhere but don’t take my word for it! But ideally it would be better to just do Medicine straight after your degree as the knowledge from your degree is still fresh in your mind, Medicine is already as challenging as it is and GEM is even more challenging as it is accelerated (4 years) so higher volume of content within a fixed/tight time slot. And make sure you’re aware of the entrance exams you’re going to have to take for these medical schools, here in the UK they’re predominantly the UCAT. If you’re doing GEM you may have to do the GAMSAT. Financially-wise, standard entry medicine is more expensive as you have to fund the degree yourself. For GEM you’ll get more support by the student finance as well as the NHS through the NHS nursery in your 2nd, 3rd and 4th year as GEM is exclusively designed for graduates, but GEM is quite competitive, this applies to when you finally become a UK resident of course.

But if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.
mwilli52
Rep:
?
I wouldn’t worry too much about it some prefer you to have the degree within like 4 years I think I saw somewhere but don’t take my word for it! But ideally it would be better to just do Medicine straight after your degree as the knowledge from your degree is still fresh in your mind, Medicine is already as challenging as it is and GEM is even more challenging as it is accelerated (4 years) so higher volume of content within a fixed/tight time slot. And make sure you’re aware of the entrance exams you’re going to have to take for these medical schools, here in the UK they’re predominantly the UCAT. If you’re doing GEM you may have to do the GAMSAT. Financially-wise, standard entry medicine is more expensive as you have to fund the degree yourself. For GEM you’ll get more support by the student finance as well as the NHS through the NHS nursery in your 2nd, 3rd and 4th year as GEM is exclusively designed for graduates, but GEM is quite competitive, this applies to when you finally become a UK resident of course.

But if you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.
Thanks for your help! I would apply right after med school, but I would be paying like $500,000 out of pocket (which doesn't exist LOL) versus around 9000 pounds or so per year. I would also plan to save up my money from the job I take on during the three years. I may decide to apply to the undergrad medicine anyway as it's only one more year and much less competitive, but who knows
DiamondDia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mwilli52)
Thanks for your help! I would apply right after med school, but I would be paying like $500,000 out of pocket (which doesn't exist LOL) versus around 9000 pounds or so per year. I would also plan to save up my money from the job I take on during the three years. I may decide to apply to the undergrad medicine anyway as it's only one more year and much less competitive, but who knows
I understand what you mean, but £500,000?! Jeez no where near, UK is nice with Uni pricing I guess, I think international students’ tuition fees are £27000? Yes, I hope you all the best! Good luck!
mwilli52
Rep:
?
I understand what you mean, but £500,000?! Jeez no where near, UK is nice with Uni pricing I guess, I think international students’ tuition fees are £27000? Yes, I hope you all the best! Good luck!
500,000 Canadian dollars haha sorry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (489)
51.75%
No (456)
48.25%

Watched Threads