rach0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hi, i was thinking of doing my dissertation on something to do with the influence of owning pets on mood/mental health or stress. Does anyone know how i could do this or if it has been done before?
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by rach0)
hi, i was thinking of doing my dissertation on something to do with the influence of owning pets on mood/mental health or stress. Does anyone know how i could do this or if it has been done before?
ok so like, thanks to our puppy my mental health is gone now but i still love him.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It's probably been done before, it seems a pretty basic topic so I would assume it has. Maybe you can adapt it a bit by looking at pet ownership on some other trait/s. For instance, pet ownership and narcissim, pet ownership and agreeableness, pet ownership and exercise motivation etc. The method would be simply give people a questionnaire assessing the trait/s, and ask people if they have a pet yes/no. A correlation to analyse. I've not done statistics for a long time but maybe a chi-squared.

But, because some supervisors are *****, they may say that that is too simple a study. God knows why they are so idiotic.
Last edited by JamesManc; 4 months ago
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by rach0)
I'd start off by having a look at previous research to see what's already out there. There's bound to be plenty of research on that particular topic but that doesn't mean you can't also conduct research on the same area - the trick is to see what limitations other researchers have experienced and then design your proposal around tackling those limitations or finding a niche area that hasn't been previously considered in order to contribute something new to the subject area.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 4 months ago
rach0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
thanks so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (13)
30.23%
No (30)
69.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed