The Student Room Group

Thinking about A level maths, I’m a grade 7 student

I want to do A level maths but I’m not sure if I’ll find it too much. I think I’ll end up with a 7 after gsces or a low 8 if I’m lucky. Will I struggle with A level? I don’t necessarily need maths but it pairs well with economics and business

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I happen to do maths, business and economics. I also got a grade 7 in maths. Yes it does look good but it’s not really necessary, for me personally it’s a lot of unnecessary stress and people who got 7s and 8s in my class are getting Cs. It really depends on your ability
Reply 2
depends on work rate
Original post by Ten-Ten
I happen to do maths, business and economics. I also got a grade 7 in maths. Yes it does look good but it’s not really necessary, for me personally it’s a lot of unnecessary stress and people who got 7s and 8s in my class are getting Cs. It really depends on your ability

Ideally I want to be prioritising economics and business so will maths be too much?
Reply 4
Original post by Lawrencesam39
Ideally I want to be prioritising economics and business so will maths be too much?

You’d have to be continuously practicing maths so that you don’t forget it so most likely. What other options are available to you
Original post by Ten-Ten
You’d have to be continuously practicing maths so that you don’t forget it so most likely. What other options are available to you

It’s either maths or gsce pe. It just depends how hard Maths would be for a grade 7 student.

Just explore and see how maths is related to eco & business. And try learning them from books or Youtube videos and apply them to the eco and business that you'll learn.
Then check with the A Level Maths syllabus to see how well A Level Maths will be useful to you. Don't be lazy, because I don't think anyone has the time to do this step for you (harsh reality but true).
Original post by Ten-Ten

And because you do eco and business wojld you say maths puts you under a lot more stress? Is it too much?
I got a 7 too and it does get hard at first, but if you keep practicing regularly you'll get the swing of things in no time.

I'd say it's also a very good qualification to have if you're looking to pursue business/eco for further education.
I want to do A level maths but I’m not sure if I’ll find it too much. I think I’ll end up with a 7 after gsces or a low 8 if I’m lucky. Will I struggle with A level? I don’t necessarily need maths but it pairs well with economics and business

my teacher was just telling us as long as u have a good grip on grade 7 skills you'll be fine
Original post by Gabbalicious
I got a 7 too and it does get hard at first, but if you keep practicing regularly you'll get the swing of things in no time.

I'd say it's also a very good qualification to have if you're looking to pursue business/eco for further education.

How much time outside of lessons would I have to put into it? Obviously I’m willing to work for it but I don’t want to feel like I’m constantly behind.
Honestly probably not. For Edexcel it's mainly just adding onto prior knowledge in yr 1 with new stuff at the end of the yr. I'm in yr 12 and haven't found it that hard the main difficulty for me is not making stupid mistakes. I agree with aboves teacher if your getting a solid 7or above you will probably do just fine.
How much time outside of lessons would I have to put into it? Obviously I’m willing to work for it but I don’t want to feel like I’m constantly behind.

Im in exactly the same predicament as you. I dont know what to chose? What degree ae you looking to pursue?
Original post by meerkatking123
Im in exactly the same predicament as you. I dont know what to chose? What degree ae you looking to pursue?

Business or economics not too sure yet.
Reply 14
It’s either maths or gsce pe. It just depends how hard Maths would be for a grade 7 student.

PE would give you more subject diversity tbh. Also will keep you a lot fitter :smile:
And because you do eco and business wojld you say maths puts you under a lot more stress? Is it too much?

I feel like the choice of exam board my school chose makes it a lot of stress as there’s barely any resources. But I don’t think edexcel maths would be too stressful you just have to balance it

i chose econ, business, and bioligy but i may add a fourth subject which is maths, just in case i find it hard, i can drop it whenever i want

Look, Im not going to lie to you, if you don't take maths, then you will struggle to get into most decent economics unis.
PE is easier but you will regret it later on.

Take maths. You are asking this question so are clearly studious. You will struggle at first (everyone does) but eventually you will be very good at it and will probably get like an A on results day 2 and a half years from now, as a prediction if you are getting 7s now.

That's a tough question to ask tbh. It depends on the workload you're getting from other subjects and anything else you're pursuing. That said, it is one of the more time-consuming subjects.

I'd say aim for about 20-30 mins of practice questions and/or reviewing the classwork each day when you can. I think that should put you in a very good spot, especially when mocks start rolling around.

Same boat as you.. I was at a grade 5 at September and was worried whether ill be able to do Alevel maths.. but I've managed to move up to a grade 8/9 over the last 3 months as I'm part of an online maths grade 7-9 masterclass course.. it teaches you proper exam techniques and problem solving at a grade 8/9 level

It's definitely improved my confidence so I now KNOW I can definitely can do maths at alevels thankfully!

Would defo recommend it

Quick Reply

Latest