The Student Room Group

Student finance for two married students both studying

Hi

I am a married therefore independant student. From September I will be taking a 5 year second degree in medicine.

My husbqnd who is currently a teacher will start a full time MA in education.

How do we report our income. I suppose my income as a nurse will be then counted as zero but will I then be assessed in the first year on my husbands teaching salary even though he will be taking a full time course too?

Thanks
Original post by IsabellaSm
Hi

I am a married therefore independant student. From September I will be taking a 5 year second degree in medicine.

My husbqnd who is currently a teacher will start a full time MA in education.

How do we report our income. I suppose my income as a nurse will be then counted as zero but will I then be assessed in the first year on my husbands teaching salary even though he will be taking a full time course too?

Thanks

Hi Isabella, we will require your husbands 19/20 tax year income. If this is over 25k and his 21/22 income will drop by more than 15% then we can take his current year income.

If your household income has dropped by more than 15% then your sponsor can complete a Current Year Income form to provide their estimated tax year income. If they do this, it's important they update us if their income changes throughout the year because at the end of the tax year we will ask them to provide the actual income they earned with evidence and if their actual income doesn't match the estimated income they provided then it could cause you to be overpaid and be required to pay money back. Your sponsor can download this form here https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/english-student-full-time/send-parent-or-partner-s-income-detail-for-example-pff2-or-cyi/ after April 2021.

We don't need to know about your earned income as the student, only any unearned income.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Isabella, we will require your husbands 19/20 tax year income. If this is over 25k and his 21/22 income will drop by more than 15% then we can take his current year income.

If your household income has dropped by more than 15% then your sponsor can complete a Current Year Income form to provide their estimated tax year income. If they do this, it's important they update us if their income changes throughout the year because at the end of the tax year we will ask them to provide the actual income they earned with evidence and if their actual income doesn't match the estimated income they provided then it could cause you to be overpaid and be required to pay money back. Your sponsor can download this form here https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/english-student-full-time/send-parent-or-partner-s-income-detail-for-example-pff2-or-cyi/ after April 2021.

We don't need to know about your earned income as the student, only any unearned income.
Thanks, Isaac

Thanks Isaac

What i dont understand though is if my income is counted as zero as I dont have any unearned income because I'm a student.

If my husband is also going to be a full time student why is his income not counted as zero i mean how can he really be my 'sponser'

He will have earned more than £25k salary per year up until September when we start studying.

Thanks
Original post by IsabellaSm
Thanks Isaac

What i dont understand though is if my income is counted as zero as I dont have any unearned income because I'm a student.

If my husband is also going to be a full time student why is his income not counted as zero i mean how can he really be my 'sponser'

He will have earned more than £25k salary per year up until September when we start studying.

Thanks

We require his 2019/20 tax year income, from when he wasn't a student.
If his income has dropped by more than 15% due to becoming a student then he can complete the CYI form I mentioned above.

This applies to you also. If you are supporting his application then you will be required to supply your 2019/20 tax year income for his application.

So you will be a student and a sponsor. He will also be a student and a sponsor.

A student doesn't need to provide their earned income (unless released by their employer), a sponsor must provide their previous tax year income to support another students applicant.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending