The Student Room Group

Official Cambridge Adjustment 2021 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lelales
Because there were changes to exam results, did the people who didn't get an offer using Government grades get their place after CAGs, assuming they got their conditional? Is that why admissions were so high last year?

Yes and yes :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
I really don't know, I'm afraid. Don't forget that last year we weren't expecting the situation that occurred (both in terms of exams being cancelled and then the U-turn from algorithm grades to CAGs). This year, we were aware that exams in the UK were unlikely to happen when we made most offers and had this confirmed by the time they were all finalised, but we don't know how grades will be awarded and what the impact on our offer holders will be.

We want to use Adjustment if we can. I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know a) what this year's numbers are going to look like or b) what last year's numbers might have looked like without the pandemic and cancellation of exams. Remember that we only have one year's worth of pre-pandemic data to go on and we can't be certain whether the number of applicants taken through Adjustment would have remained the same, increased or decreased without exam disruption.

Don't forget that last year we weren't expecting the situation that occurred (both in terms of exams being cancelled and then the U-turn from algorithm grades to CAGs). This year, we were aware that exams in the UK were unlikely to happen when we made most offers and had this confirmed by the time they were all finalised

hi! Could you please clarify what you mean by this? Like what’s the implication here - that because admin knew that exams were likely to be cancelled, offers were given to the most able and strong candidates so unfortunately yes, there will be a minute number of adjustment places, LET ALONE acceptances ??
Reply 82
Yes and yes :smile:

Okay, so does that mean that fewer offers were given this year, or the same amount?
Original post by m4xwrld
Don't forget that last year we weren't expecting the situation that occurred (both in terms of exams being cancelled and then the U-turn from algorithm grades to CAGs). This year, we were aware that exams in the UK were unlikely to happen when we made most offers and had this confirmed by the time they were all finalised

hi! Could you please clarify what you mean by this? Like what’s the implication here - that because admin knew that exams were likely to be cancelled, offers were given to the most able and strong candidates so unfortunately yes, there will be a minute number of adjustment places, LET ALONE acceptances ??

Original post by lelales
Okay, so does that mean that fewer offers were given this year, or the same amount?

Hi there!

What I meant was that, as I've said before, colleges are likely to have been more cautious about how many offers they make for the number of places available for most courses, but the number of places available has not changed. I do not know whether fewer offers have been made across the board: at Peterhouse, our number is within our usual range.

Offers are always given to the strongest applicants, so I'm not sure what you mean here. Even with the strongest applicants, we don't know how grades are being awarded (although the consultation has closed, I'm not aware of a final outcome) so we cannot guarantee that they will get the grades in the offers we have made. In any given year, we don't know whether there will be places available through Adjustment or how the subject or college distribution of these will fall because we don't know how many offer holders will meet their offers. Without exams for the majority of offer holders, it's more difficult to make a reasonable estimate. We can make an educated guess overall, but even we don't know exactly how things will turn out until we have the majority of results in.

I know it's frustrating not to know how many places might be available through Adjustment or in what subjects. We don't know this either. What I do know is that we want to use Adjustment if possible.
Hi there!

What I meant was that, as I've said before, colleges are likely to have been more cautious about how many offers they make for the number of places available for most courses, but the number of places available has not changed. I do not know whether fewer offers have been made across the board: at Peterhouse, our number is within our usual range.

Offers are always given to the strongest applicants, so I'm not sure what you mean here. Even with the strongest applicants, we don't know how grades are being awarded (although the consultation has closed, I'm not aware of a final outcome) so we cannot guarantee that they will get the grades in the offers we have made. In any given year, we don't know whether there will be places available through Adjustment or how the subject or college distribution of these will fall because we don't know how many offer holders will meet their offers. Without exams for the majority of offer holders, it's more difficult to make a reasonable estimate. We can make an educated guess overall, but even we don't know exactly how things will turn out until we have the majority of results in.

I know it's frustrating not to know how many places might be available through Adjustment or in what subjects. We don't know this either. What I do know is that we want to use Adjustment if possible.

Did Peterhouse make tougher offers this year, since the number of offers is within the usual range?
I really hope there will be spaces for English 🤞🏻
Original post by decalcomaania
Did Peterhouse make tougher offers this year, since the number of offers is within the usual range?

Hi there!

Please see post 41 on this thread.
We only need evidence from students who qualify because they're on FSM. We can check postcodes and school data, but there's no way to independently verify whether you're eligible for Free School Meals or not.

Sorry to piggyback off this question but my email also just mentioned I met the "widening participation criteria". I could have qualified because of FSM but I also might meet 3/5 of the 5 checkpoints.
Since the email didn't tell me to send proof of the FSM I'm not sure if I should take any action- basically will admissions specifically ask FSM-qualifiers to send evidence or do they assume we know who we are & what to do?

Thank you in advance!!
Original post by Plooperplomper
Sorry to piggyback off this question but my email also just mentioned I met the "widening participation criteria". I could have qualified because of FSM but I also might meet 3/5 of the 5 checkpoints.
Since the email didn't tell me to send proof of the FSM I'm not sure if I should take any action- basically will admissions specifically ask FSM-qualifiers to send evidence or do they assume we know who we are & what to do?

Thank you in advance!!

If you have qualified for FSM in the last six years and declared this at UCAS but do not meet 3/5 other criteria, your college should have asked you to send in evidence that you do/did qualify. (The reason for this is that there is no way of independently verifying who is eligible.) If you meet 3/5 other criteria AND are also FSM eligible, they will be able to independently verify your eligibility through postcode checkers and school data, so they won't need FSM eligibility evidence.
Reply 89
@Peterhouse Admissions i sent my fsm eligibility to my college's email (the email which sent me the rejection) literally ages ago and they haven't sent me a confirmation email - should i be worried? im worried
Original post by m4xwrld
@Peterhouse Admissions i sent my fsm eligibility to my college's email (the email which sent me the rejection) literally ages ago and they haven't sent me a confirmation email - should i be worried? im worried

It's really nothing to worry about. We get lots of emails and can't reply to them all. It won't hurt double checking they've got it.
Reply 91
It's really nothing to worry about. We get lots of emails and can't reply to them all. It won't hurt double checking they've got it.

i definitely have sent it to them and i've also sent a follow up email asking them to confirm that ive sent it to the right place etc 13 days later, but no reply. i will do it one more time a month before the fsm deadline. also has the date for filling the adjustment form changed? because you said it would be in august on results day but obviously boris has changed the results day now to july. thanks
Original post by m4xwrld
i definitely have sent it to them and i've also sent a follow up email asking them to confirm that ive sent it to the right place etc 13 days later, but no reply. i will do it one more time a month before the fsm deadline. also has the date for filling the adjustment form changed? because you said it would be in august on results day but obviously boris has changed the results day now to july. thanks

The deadline will still be on results day, whenever results day is! At the moment, it hasn't officially been changed from 24th August, but there's a consultation to move it to early July. If it does move, the University website will be updated accordingly.
Reply 93
The deadline will still be on results day, whenever results day is! At the moment, it hasn't officially been changed from 24th August, but there's a consultation to move it to early July. If it does move, the University website will be updated accordingly.

I just want to take the time to write this message and say, whoever you are (be that as an individual or as a group, collectively) you have already got eased our mind on many things. I have nothing to say except, thank you, and I am happy that students have a person/ people like you to answer their enquiry. Best thing on TSR for sure :smile:
@Peterhouse Admissions I got the email saying I fit in the widening participation criteria and I could use adjustment if I got the grades. Do I need to submit evidence to them? And as I don’t know which evidence do I need to contact them?
Original post by Nikitadsanto
@Peterhouse Admissions I got the email saying I fit in the widening participation criteria and I could use adjustment if I got the grades. Do I need to submit evidence to them? And as I don’t know which evidence do I need to contact them?

Unless you were asked to submit evidence of Free School Meal eligibility, you do not need to submit any evidence at all - we can find everything else ourselves.
Reply 96
Hi @Peterhouse Admissions
After the recent update on exams, what are your thoughts on Adjustment? The grades are expected to inflate more this year, too.
Original post by lelales
Hi @Peterhouse Admissions
After the recent update on exams, what are your thoughts on Adjustment? The grades are expected to inflate more this year, too.

Hi there! My thoughts haven't really changed - personally, I already thought that the solution they've come up with was what was likely to happen. We still don't know how this will affect Adjustment because we don't know how many offer holders will meet their offer conditions in each subject. And of course, many international offer holders will still have national exams.
Reply 98
lol so grades r teacher assessed bye yall its been fun, no teacher in their right mind who loves their student will cut them short of a grade for cambridge

see yall at postgrad
Reply 99
Hello @Peterhouse Admissions,

I applied this year and also received an email regarding Adjustment. I received an email saying that I am eligible for adjustment as well but I would have to provide proof of FSM eligibility.

Given that I was a student from the 2020 series, I had the chance to sit the autumn exams since I was not pleased with my CAGs. My results were on hold in January but I received them in February.

This is the issue, given that my exams were done in the Autumn series, I had received unconditional offers, on the basis of CAGs/Predicted Grades from all my other choices before my results were released.

I have achieved 3A*s at the end.

What do I do in this situation? I have not made a firm choice yet as a result of this conundrum.

I have spoken to a UCAS advisor and they noted that adjustment would work in the case of conditional firm turning unconditional, but I have received unconditional offers outright. However in this unique case, the advisor has said that the University operating in adjustment can accept me (if spaces permit) outside the UCAS remit as they do not operate as a monopoly but only as an intermediary.

This advisor said that this technicality highlights how this part of the UCAS system is not set up for post-qualified applicants. It is possible for the university to decide such a situation to consider me.

I have exceeded the typical course requirements for the other choices and meet the minimum requirements of the Cambridge course (understanding if spaces permit).

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending