The Student Room Group

Economics related gap year ideas

Hi,I'm considering taking a gap year. I'm in y13 currently taking a-levels in Maths, Geography and Economics and AS further maths. I'm hoping to apply for economics after my gap year and I want to do something that is related to Econ to help strengthen my applications. Does anyone have any ideas of things I could do?
The Adam Smith institute offers a gap year internship I think, and the institute of economic affairs offer summer internships that will be open to you.
But research both of them as you not everyone agrees with their views
research finance jobs to find out more.
Reply 3
Original post by tjames988
The Adam Smith institute offers a gap year internship I think, and the institute of economic affairs offer summer internships that will be open to you.

Thank you for these suggestions - I interned with the IEA last summer and whilst they hold different views to my own it was a good experience
Reply 4
Original post by dp276
Thank you for these suggestions - I interned with the IEA last summer and whilst they hold different views to my own it was a good experience

in a similar dilemma. im considering taking bsc international management at warwick or ppe at a top uni and they require a 7 in gcse maths which i dont have so im going to take a level maths in my gap year however i will need to do other things such as volunteering or doing an internship related to this. any suggestions? (apart from travelling)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tjames988

in a similar dilemma. im considering taking bsc international management at warwick or ppe at a top uni and they require a 7 in gcse maths which i dont have so im going to take a level maths in my gap year however i will need to do other things such as volunteering or doing an internship related to this. any suggestions? (apart from travelling)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by dp276
Hi,I'm considering taking a gap year. I'm in y13 currently taking a-levels in Maths, Geography and Economics and AS further maths. I'm hoping to apply for economics after my gap year and I want to do something that is related to Econ to help strengthen my applications. Does anyone have any ideas of things I could do?

Reply 7
Original post by dp276

Hi, may I ask you that when did you receive an offer from IEA? I applied for the summer intern earlier in March this year, received an email confirming my application a day after and nothing since
Reply 8
Original post by Ericlqy
Hi, may I ask you that when did you receive an offer from IEA? I applied for the summer intern earlier in March this year, received an email confirming my application a day after and nothing since

in a similar dilemma. im considering taking bsc international management at warwick or ppe at a top uni and they require a 7 in gcse maths which i dont have so im going to take a level maths or AS in my gap year however i will need to do other things such as volunteering or doing an internship related to this. any suggestions? (apart from travelling). Also, do you know where i can find AS math courses as some people are saying thry got rid of them completely
Original post by k419
in a similar dilemma. im considering taking bsc international management at warwick or ppe at a top uni and they require a 7 in gcse maths which i dont have so im going to take a level maths or AS in my gap year however i will need to do other things such as volunteering or doing an internship related to this. any suggestions? (apart from travelling). Also, do you know where i can find AS math courses as some people are saying thry got rid of them completely

If you can't find something related to international management what about something that allows you to develop skills that you can talk about in maybe interviews on your cv etc. I'm not too sure about AS Maths but I do know the open college do a level maths courses and if you pay a bit more exams are included. Look into volunteering matters. You can do volunteering with them for min 6 months.
Reply 10
Original post by Mama June
If you can't find something related to international management what about something that allows you to develop skills that you can talk about in maybe interviews on your cv etc. I'm not too sure about AS Maths but I do know the open college do a level maths courses and if you pay a bit more exams are included. Look into volunteering matters. You can do volunteering with them for min 6 months.

Do you have any examples of the type of volunteering roles or type of volunteering places i should be looking for?. and with that being the case, i would still like to find an internship business/economic related or somewhere close to that
Reply 11
Original post by Ericlqy

Hi, I got an offer for the internship around may last year having applied in march
Reply 12
Original post by dp276
Hi, I got an offer for the internship around may last year having applied in march

What a levels did you take may i ask and what were your grades. Do you think i'd be considered without maths but taking AS maths whilst doing the internship (planning on doing both AS maths and the internship in my gap year)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by k419
Do you have any examples of the type of volunteering roles or type of volunteering places i should be looking for?. and with that being the case, i would still like to find an internship business/economic related or somewhere close to that

I'm not too sure about internships. For the ones that I know about, the deadline has passed. Although I would keep looking because companies may start offering stuff as restrictions are gradually lifted. There's not really a lot about now. But any work experience you do will still be valuable and at university it will be easier to get work experience. By doing a level maths during your gap year shows that you've kept up with your mathematical ability so you still have something loosely related. But you could use the gap year to show your a well rounded person and have interests outside of business/economics and use that to help you stand out With volunteering matters it's not specific to any industry per se. It's just people helping people. Maybe search for some retail work and if you have to talk about it, link it back to business/economics. It's worth getting your gold DofE if you don't have it already. You could use it to start your own business and then you also get a qualification out of it.
Reply 14
Original post by Mama June
I'm not too sure about internships. For the ones that I know about, the deadline has passed. Although I would keep looking because companies may start offering stuff as restrictions are gradually lifted. There's not really a lot about now. But any work experience you do will still be valuable and at university it will be easier to get work experience. By doing a level maths during your gap year shows that you've kept up with your mathematical ability so you still have something loosely related. But you could use the gap year to show your a well rounded person and have interests outside of business/economics and use that to help you stand out With volunteering matters it's not specific to any industry per se. It's just people helping people. Maybe search for some retail work and if you have to talk about it, link it back to business/economics. It's worth getting your gold DofE if you don't have it already. You could use it to start your own business and then you also get a qualification out of it.

thankyou would take that into consideration. also, could you list the internships that you know of as im taking my gap year the year after not this year
Original post by k419
thankyou would take that into consideration. also, could you list the internships that you know of as im taking my gap year the year after not this year

ah ok. So there's the IBM internship (12 months), hsbc do work experience for about a week (look at other banks as well because they made do something),schroders do a 12 month scheme as well and that's all I know. But this it will be in a couple years it's worth seeing if you can find any shadow work as well. Maybe start a business. Read a lot as well.
I knew someone who spent their gap year at the Bank of England, could be worth looking into?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending