o0Ashi0o
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello! I was wondering if anyone could please help me? I am now at a stage within my EPQ project where it is my wish to start writing. I thought the best place to start was the Introduction, but I’m looking for suggestions as to whether this is right or not. Also, maybe some help on what to include in an introduction. Thank you so much!
jrb111
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi! I finished my EPQ in December so I might be able to help you a bit.

Personally, I started with the main body paragraphs of my essay and finished with the introduction and conclusion. I hadn't fully finalised the overarching judgement of my essay (I had arguments for each point but hadn't fully brought them together to create a final judgement of which factor was most important) so I thought that starting with the main body would be a good way to consolidate my arguments. Having also written two large essay for coursework, when tackling such a large piece of work, I find it easier to start with the main body paragraphs before finalising the judgement of your introduction and conclusion (although you can absolutely still start with the introduction if you prefer).

For the actual contents of your introduction, may I ask you what your EPQ title is? I did mine on the development of Catalan nationalism between 1992-2017 (and focused particularly on the impacts of the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, the legislation of the 2006 Statute of Autonomy and the Spanish economic crisis). In my introduction, I included a short definition of Catalan nationalism and small summaries of the significance of each factor, before tying them together in the argument that I would carry throughout my essay. Personally, I think it's important to give a small judgement on your topic in the introduction, but save the detail to be built throughout the main body paragraphs and declared in full in the conclusion.

It definitely is quite difficult to explain without actually reading the essay, but I do hope this helped! Please feel free to ask me any questions if you have any
o0Ashi0o
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello!

That’s actually a very good idea, I like the thought of having the main stuff out of the way, which can lead into the analysis of your introduction and conclusion.

My EPQ is based on looking at the development of Facial Reconstruction during the First World War, and comparing and contrasting with modern techniques.

This has helped massively, it’s given me a direction in which to go now, thank you! How long roughly did you find that it took you to write your essay?
jrb111
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by o0Ashi0o)
Hello!

That’s actually a very good idea, I like the thought of having the main stuff out of the way, which can lead into the analysis of your introduction and conclusion.

My EPQ is based on looking at the development of Facial Reconstruction during the First World War, and comparing and contrasting with modern techniques.

This has helped massively, it’s given me a direction in which to go now, thank you! How long roughly did you find that it took you to write your essay?
I'm so glad it was helpful! I wrote my first draft over the summer holidays, so was able to take it slow. When looking back at my plan, I started writing on the week of the 13th July and finished around the 24th August - so I wrote it in around a month and a half. Obviously it depends on your school's internal deadlines, but if you can, I think that spacing the writing out over a generally long period of time makes the project a lot more manageable. Particularly as I was leaving multiple days between each batch of writing, I found it a lot easier to spots mistakes when re-reading my essay, which definitely sped up the re-drafting process later on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.27%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.83%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise