jamieblack15
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As of right now i take National 5 history but want to continue and do Higher. What is the difference like how much extra work is there what kind of extra work. I would like to know to better prepare myself if i decide to do higher.
crayonsrcool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jamieblack15)
As of right now i take National 5 history but want to continue and do Higher. What is the difference like how much extra work is there what kind of extra work. I would like to know to better prepare myself if i decide to do higher.
i havent done history, but instead modern studies so they are quite similar i think. i would say just continue to focus on your N5 atm and try get the best grade you possibly can.

for preparing yourself - make sure you have a good study ethic for the subject and you know how to correctly retain mass amounts of knowledge, as higher social subjects have a quite a step up in the amount of content. i would also make sure look into the SQA H history spec over the summer, or whenever you start the course. also, try to find parts of the course by googling the topics to see if you actually like the course.

apart from that i wouldnt do too much because you'll learn everything as you progress through the higher, but just make notes as you go along etc as that will help.

good luck with it! but just dont get too worked up on it until you really need to ig
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve done history all through secondary school. I now do advanced higher, it is quite a jump from nat 5 to higher. There’s a lot more content you need to learn and instead of just doing source questions at nat 5 I actually can’t remember nat 5 now lol. At higher you do essays and source questions. You will be expected to write 2 essays in an 1hr30 so around 50 mins each essay. The source questions are also a lot different at higher for some reason but are also worth a lot more marks but you should be able to adapt really quickly to them. The biggest difference is the essay writing but once you get the hang of it, it’s really not too bad especially if you have good topics. It’s hard at the start of year which will be the same with any subject you decide to take. Any more Questions just ask!
Last edited by Ototot; 1 month ago
jamieblack15
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Ototot)
I’ve done history all through secondary school. I now do advanced higher, it is quite a jump from nat 5 to higher. There’s a lot more content you need to learn and instead of just doing source questions at nat 5 I actually can’t remember nat 5 now lol. At higher you do essays and source questions. You will be expected to write 2 essays in an 1hr30 so around 50 mins each essay. The source questions are also a lot different at higher for some reason but are also worth a lot more marks but you should be able to adapt really quickly to them. The biggest difference is the essay writing but once you get the hang of it, it’s really not too bad especially if you have good topics. It’s hard at the start of year which will be the same with any subject you decide to take. Any more Questions just ask!
My history teacher said the topics covered is the formation of Germany and the making of modern britain. If you have done these topics how would you say is best to get a good head start on them so i dont go in completely blind like i did the entire nat 5 course. Obviously its only January and s5 isn't until may or something but i just want to know these things so i can start thinking about it more. How do the source questions differ as in nat 5 the cowpat questions (5), how fully describe and explain questions(6), comparison questions(4), explain questions(6) and to what extent questions(9) are the ones i know at the moment. Are there any other question types introduced and how do these current questions change in higher if they change at all?
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My history teacher said the topics covered is the formation of Germany and the making of modern britain. If you have done these topics how would you say is best to get a good head start on them so i dont go in completely blind like i did the entire nat 5 course. Obviously its only January and s5 isn't until may or something but i just want to know these things so i can start thinking about it more. How do the source questions differ as in nat 5 the cowpat questions (5), how fully describe and explain questions(6), comparison questions(4), explain questions(6) and to what extent questions(9) are the ones i know at the moment. Are there any other question types introduced and how do these current questions change in higher if they change at all?
Sorry I didn’t do either of those topics but they seem like good ones. Also I wouldn’t really say you need to get a head start maybe just some back ground information before you go back. You could maybe just look at some past papers or something just to get familiar with what the questions look like cause it’s a very different lay out to nat 5. I’ve never been the type of person that does extra work lol. I wouldn’t go too in dept though cause you may confused yourself.
So the to what extent questions turn into 22 mark essays which can be quite easy if you get the correct formula. You will do 2 of these in the exam.
There’s an evaluate the usefulness which is 8 marks, how fully that is 10 marks, compare is 10 or 12 marks and explain which is 8. Although at nat 5 comparison was the easiest it’s now the one with the highest mark so it’s more difficult. Some of these may have changed as the like to change them every year basically. If they do change it, it’s normally marks and then maybe taking out or adding ways to gain marks.It is a big step up to higher and it’s difficult but I’d say it’s quite easy to change your mindset to the questions from nat 5 knowledge to higher. Also the way my school taught the essays was really good as we used essay planers which made it so much easier to know what we needed. So that could be a good revision tip.
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I personally found higher a massive jump and really struggled with it (I lowkey find advanced higher easier). The style of the exam is quite different, and you have to be able to write full essays in 45 mins. The source paper is more similar to Nat5, just obviously harder and longer. My biggest advice would be to try to stay on top of things because in my class at least you have to move really quickly to finish the course so you will be expected to do some things at home too
writerCG
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The jump isn't too off-putting. It takes a while to adjust simply because the content is bulkier and learning to write essays can be difficult to some. Once you grasp how to construct an essay and scramble it down in 45/50 minutes, the worst part is over. It's all just content-heavy, if you are successful at National 5 then Higher is going to be relatively straight forward. It may seem overwhelming at first switching from all source questions to the mix but honestly, it is a case of adjustment, the jump is never too big if you keep on top of it.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by thepunmaster.e)
I personally found higher a massive jump and really struggled with it (I lowkey find advanced higher easier).
I was the opposite. I found the jump to Higher pretty average but then the jump from Higher to AH crazy.

jamieblack15 - The thing that made it difficult for me to adjust to Higher was that in Nat 5 it was pretty easy to get full marks or next to full marks for every single (short) essay or source question. This won't be possible during Higher I'm afraid. So, don't be too shocked if you're not getting high marks straight off the bat. Just make sure to keep working.

Oh, and the absolute best advice I can give you for Higher, Advanced Higher, university etc would be - make sure to write down detailed and neat notes during class, and always, always keep your notes organised. You have to prioritise this every single day; don't just stuff booklets or whatever into your bag or in a random order. You need to keep things as they should be.

If you want to make life for your future self easier, do the above. Don't even think about being lazy for just 1 day, because that's all it takes to ruin everything.
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 weeks ago
l._m
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I done both those topics at Higher and achieved an A. Personally I found Germany way more interesting, my biggest tip is past papers past papers past papers. You’d be surprised to see how similars the questions are each year.

I would constantly write throughout the year practice essays and would have my teacher mark them, I recommend this! Also definitely use 2/3 quotes in your essays it really enhances them. After any knowledge point remember to use the word of the question when analysing, I really did find the essays easier than the source questions.

The source questions are way more difficult than nat5, the only thing comparable would be the 9 mark response in nat5. But honestly scrap anything you know about source questions in nat5 because they are worlds apart and teachers have different ways of structuring how to respond to them which was confusing for me as I had 2 different teachers, they can also be picky on how you pick up the marks sometimes. You can’t really prepare as such for the source questions like the essays, but always remember to analyse the point your making. And never say “at the time of.” If you want to say this relate it to the question like “At the time of women’s suffrage”.

For Germany Essays I found Nationalism the easiest to do. For Britain essays, votes for women were the easiest. Although Germany is a more interesting topic, there very content heavy and points can be long and hard to remember, I think Britain essays are easier to understand with the Liberal reforms if you are studying that at Nat5.

Overall, I really enjoyed both Nat5 and Higher history! I hope you will too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (26)
13.83%
Virtual campus tours/open days (43)
22.87%
Live streaming events (17)
9.04%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (18)
9.57%
A uni comparison tool (42)
22.34%
An in-person event when available (42)
22.34%