The Student Room Group

RE is a easy GCSE subject but does it get harder at A-level?

anyone who has done A-level RE or knows anyone who has would you say it a lot harder than GCSE RE or about the same? also what kind of content is included?
I personally found rs to be an enjoyable subject in gcse so I thought to do it in a level but it’s nothing the same

I’m doing the AQA board and the content mostly philosophical... I’d suggest if you want to choose any subject try finding out what board the school does for the subject because they’re all assessed differently then look at the brief specification so you get some idea then you can look at exam papers for a better understanding of how the writing is
RE at A-level typically covers philosophy, ethics, and developments in religious thought. It's very different to GCSE, usually assessed purely by essays [OCR have 40mark essays]. All A-levels are a big step up from GCSEs so, naturally it is more difficult, but definitely more interesting. I would recommend looking at what exam board your school/college uses and checking out the syllabus to see what the content would be, but in general, it covers topics such as:- philosophy: soul, mind, and body; existence of God; religious experiences; nature of God- ethics: utilitarianism; Kantian ethics; euthanasia; conscience- developments in Christian thought: person of Jesus, gender and society, afterlifeif you want a good introduction to some ideas - check out crash course philosophy on youtube!
Reply 3
Original post by cc_babyy
I personally found rs to be an enjoyable subject in gcse so I thought to do it in a level but it’s nothing the same

I’m doing the AQA board and the content mostly philosophical... I’d suggest if you want to choose any subject try finding out what board the school does for the subject because they’re all assessed differently then look at the brief specification so you get some idea then you can look at exam papers for a better understanding of how the writing is

thank you.
I personally find it much harder, although don’t let that put you off as it’s a really interesting subject which can make doing extra reading etc more enjoyable. I would also say make sure you have decent essay writing skills, I do biology and psychology and find them much easier because in rs you need to be able to write well and not just learn information.
Reply 5
Original post by emanchorova
RE at A-level typically covers philosophy, ethics, and developments in religious thought. It's very different to GCSE, usually assessed purely by essays [OCR have 40mark essays]. All A-levels are a big step up from GCSEs so, naturally it is more difficult, but definitely more interesting. I would recommend looking at what exam board your school/college uses and checking out the syllabus to see what the content would be, but in general, it covers topics such as:- philosophy: soul, mind, and body; existence of God; religious experiences; nature of God- ethics: utilitarianism; Kantian ethics; euthanasia; conscience- developments in Christian thought: person of Jesus, gender and society, afterlifeif you want a good introduction to some ideas - check out crash course philosophy on youtube!

thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending