Want more information about this university?
maddiefet
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, i am thinking of firming my offer at Portsmouth for adult nursing but i was just wondering if anyone who lives there, knows about it/is a student has any info on the city, uni as a whole, accomodation and nursing at ports? I havent been able to visit because of rona so i just wanted to get some student opinions of the place really. Thanks
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by maddiefet)
Hi, i am thinking of firming my offer at Portsmouth for adult nursing but i was just wondering if anyone who lives there, knows about it/is a student has any info on the city, uni as a whole, accomodation and nursing at ports? I havent been able to visit because of rona so i just wanted to get some student opinions of the place really. Thanks
You might find these links interesting, Maddie.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-org...ts/southampton

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...urse-qualified

https://www.porthosp.nhs.uk/about-us...e-military.htm
Last edited by Kerzen; 4 weeks ago
holly1602
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve got an offer there for the same course too but i’m so unsure on whether to have it as my firm or insurance, it’s so hard to decide when you can’t look around! Where else did you apply?
maddiefet
Rep:
?
(Original post by holly1602)
I’ve got an offer there for the same course too but i’m so unsure on whether to have it as my firm or insurance, it’s so hard to decide when you can’t look around! Where else did you apply?
I got offers also from Bournemouth, Plymouth, Cardiff and Southampton but a few of those are a bit too far from home so I’m thinking of firming Portsmouth and Bournemouth as my insurance, what about you!
maddiefet
Rep:
?
Just had a look through those, thanks!
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just had a look through those, thanks!
My pleasure.

I thought that you would like the one about the University Royal Naval Unit especially. There is no obligation to join the RN after your course if you are in the University Unit and it's a great way to make friends, go on trips and have fun while you are at college.
holly1602
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got offers also from Bournemouth, Plymouth, Cardiff and Southampton but a few of those are a bit too far from home so I’m thinking of firming Portsmouth and Bournemouth as my insurance, what about you!
Greenwich and Canterbury Christ Church are my other two but i’d live at home if i went to one of those. I think it’ll probably end up being Portsmouth and Greenwich that i choose for firm and insurance but i’m just so unsure on whether i want to move away or not with the situation at the moment so not sure what i’m going to do!
maddiefet
Rep:
?
Greenwich and Canterbury Christ Church are my other two but i’d live at home if i went to one of those. I think it’ll probably end up being Portsmouth and Greenwich that i choose for firm and insurance but i’m just so unsure on whether i want to move away or not with the situation at the moment so not sure what i’m going to do!
Ahhh I see! I want to live away in halls because it’s good to make friends and I don’t want to daily commute, but I wanted somewhere close enough I could go home most weekends because I don’t really want to move away from home🤣 what I try to think is it’s still 8 ish months away so hopefully by then things will open up and be back to a slight normal-but who knows!
nweir303
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I live in Portsmouth and have applied for adult nursing here too.

Its a great city, lots of open space and beaches to enjoy. Nightlife is OK, lots of bars and restaurants. For me it really is all about being outdoors having bbqs on common in the summer!

There are rough areas but there are anywhere, if you are sensible you won't have any issues.

Feel free to ask any questions?

Do you mind me asking one? How soon after interview did you hear back? I just had mine this morning! X
holly1602
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nweir303)

Its a great city, lots of open space and beaches to enjoy. Nightlife is OK, lots of bars and restaurants. For me it really is all about being outdoors having bbqs on common in the summer!

There are rough areas but there are anywhere, if you are sensible you won't have any issues.

Do you mind me asking one? How soon after interview did you hear back? I just had mine this morning! X
Hey, I literally heard back in less than 48 hours so it’s pretty quick. How did you find the interview? X
holly1602
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ahhh I see! I want to live away in halls because it’s good to make friends and I don’t want to daily commute, but I wanted somewhere close enough I could go home most weekends because I don’t really want to move away from home🤣 what I try to think is it’s still 8 ish months away so hopefully by then things will open up and be back to a slight normal-but who knows!
Yeah i want the full uni experience and that is very true, 8 months is still quite a long way away
maddiefet
Rep:
?

Wow that sounds amazing, yes I’d love the bbqs and the beach! I live by the sea at the moment so I definitely want to be at the beach a lot otherwise I’ll miss it!

I had my interview around early December and I found out about mid January so approximately 5-6 weeks wait, Christmas in the middle did delay it a bit xx
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! maddiefet

I'm a student and I study Criminology with Criminal Justice.

The uni doesn't have a campus but everything is within a 10-minute walking distance. Shops are also within a 10-minute walking distance, including Gunwharf Quays.
There are loads of things to do as a student. It has good nightlife, good shops (including independent ones), loads of places to eat and drink, there's an adult playzone, there's the beach...
So far I've had loads of help from staff. Including assessments, career path and student wellbeing.
There are loads of societies to join, that accept people with all abilities.
Student Accommodation is mostly located near guildhall walk, where there are bars, clubs and restaurants, and 10 minutes to the majority of uni buildings. In my first year I stayed in Rosalind Franklin. It was ensuite and I shared with 5 other people.

I hope this helps!
If you have any further questions, please do ask!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
nweir303
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I literally heard back in less than 48 hours so it’s pretty quick. How did you find the interview? X
Wow I hope its that quick for me!
I am a bit unsure about interview, I know I messed up in a couple of places and on reflection I had loads I could have said that I had prepped that I missed out!

One question was a lady complains that she has seen a man dressed as a women using the ladies loo, what do you do?

I literally didn't know what to say, but didn't even say something along lines of discussing with colleagues!!! I'm gutted!
nweir303
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow that sounds amazing, yes I’d love the bbqs and the beach! I live by the sea at the moment so I definitely want to be at the beach a lot otherwise I’ll miss it!

I had my interview around early December and I found out about mid January so approximately 5-6 weeks wait, Christmas in the middle did delay it a bit xx
Where do you live now?

I feel I should caveat that the beaches are pebbles! I still love them though!

Yes I forgot to say about gunwharf as another person has.... really there is loads, there is all the naval history too which I find really interesting.
maddiefet
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! maddiefet

The uni doesn't have a campus but everything is within a 10-minute walking distance. Shops are also within a 10-minute walking distance, including Gunwharf Quays.
There are loads of things to do as a student. It has good nightlife, good shops (including independent ones), loads of places to eat and drink, there's an adult playzone, there's the beach...
So far I've had loads of help from staff. Including assessments, career path and student wellbeing.
Student Accommodation is mostly located near guildhall walk, where there are bars, clubs and restaurants, and 10 minutes to the majority of uni buildings. In my first year I stayed in Rosalind Franklin. It was ensuite and I shared with 5 other people.

I hope this helps!
I am a bit unsure about interview, I know I messed up in a couple of places and on reflection I had loads I could have said that I had prepped that I missed out!

One question was a lady complains that she has seen a man dressed as a women using the ladies loo, what do you do?

I literally didn't know what to say, but didn't even say something along lines of discussing with colleagues!!! I'm gutted!
Don’t stress too much, the questions are tricky and there is no way to prepare for the scenarios, I’m sure you did fine! on a few of my questions I was like oh no why did I say that! but I still got an offer, and I’m sure you will too! x
maddiefet
Rep:
?
Where do you live now?

I feel I should caveat that the beaches are pebbles! I still love them though!

Yes I forgot to say about gunwharf as another person has.... really there is loads, there is all the naval history too which I find really interesting.
I live in lulworth, don’t worry the beaches are pebbles here too aha! I’m defo putting Portsmouth as my firm now, just hoping I get the right grades with everything going on at the moment!
maddiefet
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! maddiefet

I hope this helps!
Hi!

Wow that’s great info-thankyou so much!!!!
It’s so good to gain a student insight into the place
holly1602
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Honestly I was the exact same, some of the questions I thought were horrible and had no clue on what to say so I was surprised I actually got an offer🤣 But then again they’re not expecting you to know everything so i’m sure you’ll be fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (247)
51.14%
No (236)
48.86%

Watched Threads