The Student Room Group

Why are foundation years looked down upon?

I wanna do a foundation year only because I don't have the correct A-Levels to do the course I want.
So many people seem to look at foundation years badly. Why is that?
You will walk out of that University with exactly the same degree as everyone else.
It wont say 'Foundation course' anywhere on your degree certificate.

There are all sorts of different routes to degree level study.
And who cares what random other people think anyway?
Original post by Memesbygsus
I wanna do a foundation year only because I don't have the correct A-Levels to do the course I want.
So many people seem to look at foundation years badly. Why is that?

Hi @Memesbygsus,

I think a lot of people probably don't understand what foundation years actually are and also, you're probably talking to the wrong people if they're judging foundation years.

I think foundation years are a great entry point for people who want to do a degree in something they don't have enough base knowledge in. There are a few people on my masters course who did a foundation year and I admire them for taking the initiative of doing an extra year to learn what they need to know. I haven't met anyone at uni who has thought badly of foundation years and hopefully if you do a foundation year you'll be among people who are in the same situation as you where everyone will support each other.

Like @McGinger said, you'll get the same degree out of it and no one else's opinion matters but yours.

Megan
4th year physics student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending