getting a job in the US as a UK student

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was born and always have lived in the UK and am a current uni student in the UK but i really want to move to the US once i graduate. since i cannot afford to go to uni in the US i'm staying in the Uk for uni. would it be possible to get a graduate job in the US after graduating from a UK university?
kamara41
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Yes, you are able to get a job as a UK citizen in the US; your employer would need to get you a visa, however. The easiest way is probably to work for an international company and get transferred over to the US. However, you are of course able to apply for jobs in the US; that will just be very competitive as the employer would have to go through the process of getting you a visa when they could just hire someone who already has the right to work in the US - you would have to be an outstanding applicant, which will be much more difficult this early in your career as you will look very similar to other graduates from American universities.
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
It is possible.
Depending on your qualifications, career, credit history, whether you have any criminal record (including cautions/reprimands) and sometimes family background.

But it will be intensely competitive.
You will face a strong challenge from at least three different groups: american citizen graduates, overseas graduates seeking american employment visas and experienced american citizens that have no graduated from a uni.
concernedLMAO
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was born and always have lived in the UK and am a current uni student in the UK but i really want to move to the US once i graduate. since i cannot afford to go to uni in the US i'm staying in the Uk for uni. would it be possible to get a graduate job in the US after graduating from a UK university?
If you can, marry. I am not joking it is so, so hard moving there with stability as an immigrant through work visas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (23)
28.05%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (28)
34.15%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
9.76%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.66%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
6.1%
I’m starting to consider my university options (12)
14.63%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (2)
2.44%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.22%

Watched Threads