nisaa_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,

i’ve heard so much about apprenticeships being better than uni bc you get paid while learning how to work. but then i’m hearing that it is the “ easy way out “.

then i’ve heard that uni is good bc you’ve got a better chance at getting a good job. but then i’m hearing that it’s too much debt and harder to find a job after.

i’m studying a-level computer science, maths and psychology and i’m focused on going to uni to do computer science. (i’m in y12 btw)

does anyone know which one they think is better? does anyone have any experiences they can share? all answers appreciated
RedNot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My mum's worked most of her life in computer science, from her experience apprenticeships are more effective. This is simply because you get experience, contacts and likely a paid university degree also. If I were you I'd start look at different apprenticeships first, then see if they'd fit with your style of learning: are you best working independently or with others? Would university alone put too much financial strain on you? Do you think you learn better on the job?. There are plenty of apprenticeships for comuter science and it's best to show your interest early if you want to get one. Maybe look for some work experience over the summer?
nisaa_
Rep:
?
RedNot thank you so much! that’s very helpful. does your mum or you have any suggestions where to apply ?
RedNot
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
nisaa_ This website would probably be a decent start: https://successatschool.org/advicede...ork-experience
nisaa_
Rep:
?
thank you again ! ☺️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (114)
52.05%
No (105)
47.95%

Watched Threads