success4life
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I do not get into my firm Uni, I do not want to go to my insurance.
I am friends with the women who is the main lecturer for the one I'd go to if it was my only option. She'll allow me to join-but is this a thing.
Is this clearing or adjustment???
Thank you my lovelies
Ps
Reason why:
The course was offering 48 ucas points. Then I get told I need a C then a B then a pass in maths. Which is doesn’t say on the website

I’ve been given the wrong info so I withdraw my offer.
But I can get in with grades I already have so it’s mistake off there part. She’s apologise. This is why the case is so strong as it’s from there end by giving false information
Last edited by success4life; 1 month ago
DoNotMove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by success4life)
I am friends with the women who is the main lecturer for the one I'd go to if it was my only option. She'll allow me to join-but is this a thing.
Thank you my lovelies
That is clearing. Adjustment is for when your grades are better than your firmed uni, so you attempt to get into a uni with higher grade requirements than your original firm. Clearing is just any spaces remaining at any unis.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you my lovelies
If your Firm rejects you, you can decline your insurance choice and enter clearing. Before you do so, you would need to make sure that this other choice that you are talking to would accept you via clearing.
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
If your Firm rejects you, you can decline your insurance choice and enter clearing. Before you do so, you would need to make sure that this other choice that you are talking to would accept you via clearing.
So I can contact her-the lecturer and she'll make me space. So basically I sort it out myself and get back to them
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I can contact her-the lecturer and she'll make me space. So basically I sort it out myself and get back to them
If you want to make sure that you actually do have a place, it would probably be a better idea to go through the university's official channel for Clearing.
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by Isinglass)
If you want to make sure that you actually do have a place, it would probably be a better idea to go through the university's official channel for Clearing.
Thank you!!
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you my lovelies
If you miss your firm choice you cant use adjustment you need to withdraw from insurance then apply via clearing.

Also what you describing sounds highly unethical by this lecturer, and certainly against university & UCAS policy to let people in on a personal favour. Not to mention unless they are the course director/course admissions officer might not be in charge of course applications. Most of the time clearing is managed simply by A-level subjects and grades.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Isinglass)
Not always necessary. Uni’s can take people if they’ve agreed to this ahead of time via ‘secret clearing’, (where the course isn’t publicly open).

The OP needs to get very clear written confirmation from whoever they are talking to that they will be accepted if they apply via clearing. Although quite how they can do that before they even know the OP’s results is another matter.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Also what you describing sounds highly unethical by this lecturer, and certainly against university & UCAS policy to let people in on a personal favour. Not to mention unless they are the course director/course admissions officer might not be in charge of course applications. Most of the time clearing is managed simply by A-level subjects and grades.
I agree 100% about the ‘personal favour’ part. However in reality a few students are accepted via clearing and prior agreement even if the course is not open to the masses. General admissions teams aren’t super happy about it, but it does happen. It’s generally very strong applicants, so quite what discussion is being had here, pre-results, is another matter.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree 100% about the ‘personal favour’ part. However in reality a few students are accepted via clearing and prior agreement even if the course is not open to the masses. General admissions teams aren’t super happy about it, but it does happen. It’s generally very strong applicants, so quite what discussion is being had here, pre-results, is another matter.
Doesn't surprise me. I dont think prior agreement is an ethical issue if students wish to email in and reserve a spot in clearing subject to grades as at least theoretically any candidate could email in under the same pretences.

But where a spot is being reserved purely because they know a member of the teaching staff is simply unacceptable imo. I would be disappointed if I found out students at my university got accepted in this fashion (although its probably the type of thing that happens under the radar a couple times every year).
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
If you miss your firm choice you cant use adjustment you need to withdraw from insurance then apply via clearing.

Yes but this is due to a mistake of there part.
they’ve said I needed a C then a B then to pass maths
it turns out actually I need 48 ucas points and no pass in maths. She’s deeply sorry for telling me the wrong info. Which is why I withdraw my offer
success4life
Rep:
?
No

Exactly.
The course was offering 48 ucas points. Then I get told I need a C then a B then a pass in maths.

But I can get in with grades I already have so it’s mistake off there part. She’s apologise. This is why the case is so strong as it’s from there end. Sorry I didn’t mean to write no
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Doesn't surprise me. I dont think prior agreement is an ethical issue if students wish to email in and reserve a spot in clearing subject to grades as at least theoretically any candidate could email in under the same pretences.

But where a spot is being reserved purely because they know a member of the teaching staff is simply unacceptable imo. I would be disappointed if I found out students at my university got accepted in this fashion (although its probably the type of thing that happens under the radar a couple times every year).
It’s not because I know the member of staff!

The course was offering 48 ucas points. Then I get told I need a C then a B then a pass in maths.

But I can get in with grades I already have so it’s mistake off there part. She’s apologise. This is why the case is so strong as they are the ones who have made the mistake. Now I have spoken to the staff member I know her in a way
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)

I’ve updated my post
success4life
Rep:
?
I’ve updated my post
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)

I should have explained this better sorry.
Basically I needed 48 ucas points. So I applied.
When the offer came through it said I needed a minimum of a C in biology. But I applied for a foundation year so that’s not right. It was not on the website. I was told I don’t need a C I need a B. And also to pass maths-but maths exams have been cancelled due to covid. So as you can see they kept changing the requirements.
So I withdraw my offer..
She emailed me asking why and what happened and wishing me luck. And then apologised on the universities behalf as I needed EEE/DD with no pass of maths. So the track and uni had given me completely wrong information.
Meaning I could study there. She said I could go through clearing but I don’t know how it works which why I’ve put out this post. Does that make more sense. I hope so.
success4life
Rep:
?
hould have explained this better sorry.
When the offer came through it said I needed a minimum of a C in biology. But I applied for a foundation year so that’s not right. It was not on the website. I was told I don’t need a C I need a B. And also to pass maths-but maths exams have been cancelled due to covid. So as you can see they kept changing the requirements.
So I withdraw my offer..
She emailed me asking why and what happened and wishing me luck. And then apologised on the universities behalf as I needed EEE/DD with no pass of maths. So the track and uni had given me completely wrong information.
Meaning I could study there. She said I could go through clearing but I don’t know how it works which why I’ve put out this post. Does that make more sense. I hope so.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s not because I know the member of staff!

But I can get in with grades I already have so it’s mistake off there part. She’s apologise. This is why the case is so strong as they are the ones who have made the mistake. Now I have spoken to the staff member I know her in a way
So you applied, received an offer with conditions you were not expecting then withdrew.

Now you’ve contacted them and they’ve said they will 100% accept you in clearing with prior achieved grades?
——
If you supersede your firm offer then you can apply for adjustment,
If you do not do this you need be released from your firm & insurance choice offers and apply via clearing.

Admit-One could op use ucas extra to resolve this?
success4life
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
So you applied, received an offer with conditions you were not expecting then withdrew.

Now you’ve contacted them and they’ve said they will 100% accept you in clearing with prior achieved grades?
——
If you supersede your firm offer then you can apply for adjustment,
If you do not do this you need be released from your firm & insurance choice offers and apply via clearing.

Admit-One could op use ucas extra to resolve this?
No they haven’t said this. I am just thinking of option. She did say she will do anything to try to resolve this and she is speaking to the panel in order to sort it out.
It’s an option. But my advantage is she know how passionate I am for this course. And it wasn’t my fault they gave the wrong entry requirement.

They are correct on the website but on ucas they are wrong. Where it says the conditions I just meet.
Thank you
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hould have explained this better sorry.
So I withdraw my offer..
Ok, so a bit of a mess all round really.

The simplest solution would be for the Uni to contact UCAS and see if they will reset this decision for you. This may not be possible as you have withdrawn yourself, you weren’t rejected by the Uni. If it is possible, UCAS may ask you to contact them to give them permission. That would be simplest as they could just give you another offer.

Failing that, yes, Extra is a possibility but only if the course is still open to applications. The problem with speaking to a lecturer is that they may not be familiar with the mechanisms of how decisions are processed. So I would probably want some confirmation that they have spoken to their general admissions team and that you could resubmit via Extra.

It sounds as if they are quite keen to rectify this, so even in a worst case they should be able to accept you via clearing.

(Thanks for the tag mnot)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.7%
Virtual campus tours/open days (114)
23.36%
Live streaming events (44)
9.02%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (47)
9.63%
A uni comparison tool (111)
22.75%
An in-person event when available (110)
22.54%