The Student Room Group

a level chemistry question

hii i was wondering if anyone could help me out with some questions that I had?
- in my CGP book it says that some poly alkanes can have dipole dipole boning, but couldn't they also have hydrogen bonding?
- during the oxidation fo alcohols, the solution is supposed to turn orange to green? but can't they also turn blue? ive heard somewhere that they do, when does this happen?
also, does it turn from orange to green whenever there's an oxidation? so when an alkene is turned into an aldehyde it turns green? and also when the aldehyde is turned into a carboxylic acid?
- im a bit confused about the Fehlings solution test. In my notes, it says that it contains Cu 2+ ions. the aldehydes then oxidise to form Cu2O complexes, but how is that oxidising the aldehydes if the Cu is gaining the oxygen? is that makes sense??

Thank you in advance!! :smile: rly appreciate it
Reply 1
Original post by vix.xvi
- in my CGP book it says that some poly alkanes can have dipole dipole boning, but couldn't they also have hydrogen bonding?
- during the oxidation fo alcohols, the solution is supposed to turn orange to green? but can't they also turn blue? ive heard somewhere that they do, when does this happen?
also, does it turn from orange to green whenever there's an oxidation? so when an alkene is turned into an aldehyde it turns green? and also when the aldehyde is turned into a carboxylic acid?
- im a bit confused about the Fehlings solution test. In my notes, it says that it contains Cu 2+ ions. the aldehydes then oxidise to form Cu2O complexes, but how is that oxidising the aldehydes if the Cu is gaining the oxygen? is that makes sense??

In order:

Only N,O,F can form hydrogen bonds (with hydrogen) because of their electronegativity

No idea, never heard that, ur probs thinking of a different reaction. Oxidation with acidified potassium dichromate as an oxidising agent does orange to green.

The colour change is due to the recuction of the dichromate.

Oxidation isn't gain of oxygen, it's loss of electrons. Cu2O means that (as oxygen has an oxidation state of -2) the Cu2+ has become Cu1+. This is a reduction as the oxidation state has been reduced.
Reply 2
Original post by vix.xvi

The orange to green colour is caused when Cr with an oxidation number of +6 is reduced to +3, which appears green. BUT it can be further reduced to +2, which appears blue.

I say appears green as Cr3+ is violet. Go figure.

Whatever dichromate oxidises something, you'll see the green/blue colour as the Cr gets reduced as it is oxidising things.

2F2 + O2 -> 2F2O. You'd think that F is being oxidised as it is gaining oxygen, but...
O2 + O -> O3. You'd think that O is being oxidised as it is gaining oxygen, but...
Original post by Jmoore12
In order:

Only N,O,F can form hydrogen bonds (with hydrogen) because of their electronegativity

No idea, never heard that, ur probs thinking of a different reaction. Oxidation with acidified potassium dichromate as an oxidising agent does orange to green.

The colour change is due to the recuction of the dichromate.

Oxidation isn't gain of oxygen, it's loss of electrons. Cu2O means that (as oxygen has an oxidation state of -2) the Cu2+ has become Cu1+. This is a reduction as the oxidation state has been reduced.

1. could you get poly alcohols???

thank you about the rest!! xx
Reply 4
Original post by vix.xvi

I am not totally sure what you mean by your Q?

Can you polymerise an alcohol, e.g. ethanol? No.

You can polymerise ethenol, though - normal addition polymerisation ala ethene.

You can do condensation polymerisation with a diol, e.g. ethane-1,2-diol, if you mix it will a dicarboxlic e.g. ethanedioic acid.
Reply 5
Original post by vix.xvi

Alcohols do form hydrogen bonds because they have an oxygen with unbonded electrons. Idk about Polyalcohols. I'm not sure that they exist in the way you may be imagining it as they can't form condensation or addition polymers so aren't needed at A level, at least as far as my AQA spec goes.
Original post by Pigster
I am not totally sure what you mean by your Q?

Can you polymerise an alcohol, e.g. ethanol? No.

You can polymerise ethenol, though - normal addition polymerisation ala ethene.

You can do condensation polymerisation with a diol, e.g. ethane-1,2-diol, if you mix it will a dicarboxlic e.g. ethanedioic acid.

Thank you!! So if you polymerise ethanol can you get hydrogen bonding btwn chains?? xxx
Original post by Jmoore12
Alcohols do form hydrogen bonds because they have an oxygen with unbonded electrons. Idk about Polyalcohols. I'm not sure that they exist in the way you may be imagining it as they can't form condensation or addition polymers so aren't needed at A level, at least as far as my AQA spec goes.

Ok thank you for your reply! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by vix.xvi
Thank you!! So if you polymerise ethanol can you get hydrogen bonding btwn chains?? xxx

You can't polymerise ethanol. If you made poly(ethenol) then you would get H-bonds between chains.

And less the kisses, the wife will complain.
Original post by Pigster
You can't polymerise ethanol. If you made poly(ethenol) then you would get H-bonds between chains.

And less the kisses, the wife will complain.

Loll kk thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest