Is moving away for uni a good idea in 2021

Watch
holly1602
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i’ve currently got an offer for Portsmouth uni and i’m waiting to hear back from two others that are local to me. Would staying local be the best idea this year due to the current situation? I want the uni experience but at the same time I don’t want to waste money by moving away and not getting the best experience when i can go to a local uni and stay at home. I know i shouldn’t let this affect my decision but i am so unsure! I would hate to go through what some of the university students have gone through this year. Thank you
cchloepx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i think the main problem with this thought process is that you could be deferring a year forever. who knows when this will all end. people are so caught up with 'the uni experience' that maybe you need to stop fantasising about 'the uni experience' and actually enjoy it in time.
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what is this uni experience you want exactly?
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by holly1602)
i’ve currently got an offer for Portsmouth uni and i’m waiting to hear back from two others that are local to me. Would staying local be the best idea this year due to the current situation? I want the uni experience but at the same time I don’t want to waste money by moving away and not getting the best experience when i can go to a local uni and stay at home. I know i shouldn’t let this affect my decision but i am so unsure! I would hate to go through what some of the university students have gone through this year. Thank you
Which subject, Holly?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by holly1602)
Heyy, I’m in a similar situation as well. I have local unis to choose from or ones further away for my firm choice. Tbh yes there might be the chance of us not having the perfect first year of uni, but I’m looking at things in the long run. Still not so sure which one I’m gonna go with😂😩
holly1602
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Heyy, I’m in a similar situation as well. I have local unis to choose from or ones further away for my firm choice. Tbh yes there might be the chance of us not having the perfect first year of uni, but I’m looking at things in the long run. Still not so sure which one I’m gonna go with😂😩
It’s so difficult! Before covid i was so set on moving away and hearing about people’s experiences this year has put me off. But yeah you’re right you definitely have to look at it in the long run, I just know id save so much money though if i stay at home. Then again who knows what the situation will be like in September, it could be a lot better
Bumble18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t think so. I think we are going to have one more rough ride later in the year. But like an above comment said, you may be deferring forever. Guess we can’t keep putting things off!! Good luck
Gillzy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd say go for it as even this year its been pretty fun and its been a unique experience in some ways. I met some great pals and got my independence along the way so go for it!
holly1602
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bumble18)
I don’t think so. I think we are going to have one more rough ride later in the year. But like an above comment said, you may be deferring forever. Guess we can’t keep putting things off!! Good luck
Yep! Thank you
holly1602
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gillzy)
I'd say go for it as even this year its been pretty fun and its been a unique experience in some ways. I met some great pals and got my independence along the way so go for it!
Yeah i’m definitely debating it more now, I know i’ll end up regretting it if I don’t go!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (77)
11.81%
Virtual campus tours/open days (158)
24.23%
Live streaming events (52)
7.98%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.05%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.47%
An in-person event when available (153)
23.47%