Rita777
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello any help with this question would really be appreciated.

I just got a rejection from Cambridge for Law, and am pretty gutted, however, I still have an offer from UCL. Although it's an amazing university, I'm not too keen on studying in London.

My options are either to accept the UCL offer, or take a gap year and try again for Oxbridge. Although I would really want to reapply, the idea of taking a gap year is very unappealing to me.

I know Cambridge doesn't look favourably on people applying whilst already enrolled somewhere else, but it seems Oxford allows it.

If I start UCL, then apply to Oxford, will it diminish my chances significantly of getting in, if I had just taken a year off instead?
etohin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Rita777)
Hello any help with this question would really be appreciated.

I just got a rejection from Cambridge for Law, and am pretty gutted, however, I still have an offer from UCL. Although it's an amazing university, I'm not too keen on studying in London.

My options are either to accept the UCL offer, or take a gap year and try again for Oxbridge. Although I would really want to reapply, the idea of taking a gap year is very unappealing to me.

I know Cambridge doesn't look favourably on people applying whilst already enrolled somewhere else, but it seems Oxford allows it.

If I start UCL, then apply to Oxford, will it diminish my chances significantly of getting in, if I had just taken a year off instead?
i was in just the same situation as you. i got rejected from oxford, while holding an offer from ucl for 2021. tbh, i'm still debating what to do but i think i'm going to ucl.

after i got rejected, i went into a panic about my future and i didn't know what to do and you sound a little like i did after i first got a rejection; don't make any rash decisions right now and think things through about what you really want to do. the way i see it is, if i wasn't going to apply to oxbridge in my gap year, would i even be taking one? i'm still trying to figure out the answer to that one, but i think it's a good question to ask yourself. if the idea of a gap year seems unappealing, i don't know how much good it will do to take one.

also i think that you have to have withdrawn your offers from all universities if you want to reapply, regardless of what institution it is. also, ucl terms start in early october and the deadline for oxbridge application is around two weeks after, not giving you much time about deciding what to do.

think it through, and obviously don't reject or firm any offers right now until you're pretty sure what you will do.
Rita777
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by etohin)
i was in just the same situation as you. i got rejected from oxford, while holding an offer from ucl for 2021. tbh, i'm still debating what to do but i think i'm going to ucl.

after i got rejected, i went into a panic about my future and i didn't know what to do and you sound a little like i did after i first got a rejection; don't make any rash decisions right now and think things through about what you really want to do. the way i see it is, if i wasn't going to apply to oxbridge in my gap year, would i even be taking one? i'm still trying to figure out the answer to that one, but i think it's a good question to ask yourself. if the idea of a gap year seems unappealing, i don't know how much good it will do to take one.

also i think that you have to have withdrawn your offers from all universities if you want to reapply, regardless of what institution it is. also, ucl terms start in early october and the deadline for oxbridge application is around two weeks after, not giving you much time about deciding what to do.

think it through, and obviously don't reject or firm any offers right now until you'e pretty sure what you will do.
Thank you for this really thorough advice! - I won't decide anything until I receive feedback on my application and talk to my school and, of course, receive my A level grades
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads