Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i read about this thing that people in the 60s/70s wrote.

it mentioned how relationships were so different to gen z relationships, like they wouldn't think of sex until way later on in the relationship and even then, it wasnt a big thing. It was more love, communication, understanding and trust and i find that so beautiful because nowadays everythings about sex and hardly about love anymore. I know both love and sex mix well together but relationships in the 60's/70's sounded so more pure and full of love.. thoughts?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Disagree - the 60s were the time of the sexual revolution!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by black tea)
Disagree - the 60s were the time of the sexual revolution!
probably a lot better than gen z though.

people are sexually active at 12+!!!!

love is rate nowadays
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i read about this thing that people in the 60s/70s wrote.

it mentioned how relationships were so different to gen z relationships, like they wouldn't think of sex until way later on in the relationship and even then, it wasnt a big thing. It was more love, communication, understanding and trust and i find that so beautiful because nowadays everythings about sex and hardly about love anymore. I know both love and sex mix well together but relationships in the 60's/70's sounded so more pure and full of love.. thoughts?
It's a nice thought, a sweet one. I think I'd like it if that was how things really were. I wonder how many people actually internalised those beliefs at the time though...
cchloepx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I always hate the romanticisation of those eras lol. Like yeah, maybe relationships in the 60s were ‘pure’ but a lot of men were still beating their wives and god forbid a woman say ‘no’ to sex.

Generalising all relationships in certain eras doesn’t work. I have a loving relationship with my boyfriend. And sex isn’t a huge things for us either.
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think we now live in very sexualised society so it's easy for young people to look at previous generations and claim how much more about love it was back then. If anything, people were having much more sex in previous decades; the rise of technology, social media and other events like the financial crisis have meant people are focusing on other things. A poll conducted a couple years back actually said 12% (they reckoned the number could be as high as 15%) of 26 year olds were still virgins precisely because of the factors just mentioned but also because of fearing intimacy (in the 90s the figure was something like 1 in 20 were virgins) so I thinking a fair amount of pure sh*gging away from love was definitely at hand before!

I know a fair amount of people who didn't have sex until months into their relationship and there are a couple of people still waiting for marriage so all Gen Z/Millennial relationships aren't the same. Also bear in mind demisexuals, asexuals, more staunch religious followers do exist but the prevailing cultural narrative revolves around sex on the first date, sex by the third date, the relationship not being complete without consummating it, etc...
Last edited by TJ1997; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (42)
25.61%
Unhappy (44)
26.83%
Conflicted (78)
47.56%

Watched Threads