Gaming monitor vs TV

Watch
RRArsenal123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, after a bit of advice

I am looking at buying a new tv, but am indecisive as to whether to get a TV or gaming monitor.
**Console player**

I’m torn between the two and ideally do not want to pay more than £300.

If I got a TV, I’d want it to be around 30-28 INCH and 4k.
If I got a gaming monitor, I’d want it to be smaller and still, good quality picture. But with gaming monitors, do they come with TV aerials to enable watching tv if wanted?

I’m not a huge dedicated gamer, but I do play quite a lot (COD/Fifa/GTA)

What would be best for me
Tia
Last edited by RRArsenal123; 1 month ago
doubleGs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RRArsenal123)

I am looking at buying a new tv, but am indecisive as to whether to get a TV or gaming monitor.

If I got a gaming monitor, I’d want it to be smaller and still, good quality picture. But with gaming monitors, do they come with TV aerials to enable watching tv if wanted?

Tia
Gaming monitors don't come with built in freeview like TVs do, if you're actually interested in watching broadcast TV with a monitor then get a freeview box with a HDMI port, and an indoor aerial. But if you are getting a monitor I recommend just not bothering with TV at all, that way you can avoid having to pay TV licence, because they can't prove that you watch TV
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For £300 you can get a 43 inch 4K
https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...a7100ftuk.html

I wouldn't bother with a gaming monitor.

(Original post by doubleGs)
that way you can avoid having to pay TV licence, because they can't prove that you watch TV
This isn't true. I have had a TV for years without a licence which has even been inspected without issue.
cjcunited
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do you play on pc or console? I used to play on console with a TV for years but I use a monitor with my pc. when I go back onto the TV now I really notice the input delay on a fast game like rocket League.
RRArsenal123
Rep:
?
(Original post by cjcunited)
do you play on pc or console? I used to play on console with a TV for years but I use a monitor with my pc. when I go back onto the TV now I really notice the input delay on a fast game like rocket League.
I play on a console. Currently on Xbox one/ looking to
Get Xbox Xbox one x or ps5 in the next year
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A monitor typically has higher refresh rates, better viewing angles, lower response time, lower input lag and all that other stuff good for gaming meanwhile TV's don't usually have any of those benefits but HDMI 2.1 on TV's is amazing because it allows refresh rates of up to 120hz at 4K but I don't think HDMI 2.1 TV's exist at £300-400. I guess get a TV if you also want to watch TV but if that's not a priority then get a monitor.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RRArsenal123)

**Console player**

Tia
I don't think you'll find a 4K TV at such a small screen size, at least within budget. Checking a relatively broad stable of TV retailers (Currys, Richer Sounds, Argos, John Lewis, Amazon, and Box) the smallest 4K TV I was able to find was 40". You might be able to find some niche offering that comes in closer to 30" and that my rudimentary "smallest 4K TV" wasn't able to find, but I'd wager if such a screen exists, it probably comes in at over £300,

If you want 4K and TV functionality at this size, your best bet is going to be using a monitor with a freeview box plugged in via HDMI. You can pick up decent quality 4K monitors around 27" with IPS or VA panels (best for image quality, avoid TN panels for their poor viewing angles) for about £250, leaving you some of your budget to find a cheap freeview box and speakers. This LG looks like a good pick;

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming...9~PCPartPicker
RRArsenal123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
I don't think you'll find a 4K TV at such a small screen size, at least within budget. Checking a relatively broad stable of TV retailers (Currys, Richer Sounds, Argos, John Lewis, Amazon, and Box) the smallest 4K TV I was able to find was 40". You might be able to find some niche offering that comes in closer to 30" and that my rudimentary "smallest 4K TV" wasn't able to find, but I'd wager if such a screen exists, it probably comes in at over £300,

If you want 4K and TV functionality at this size, your best bet is going to be using a monitor with a freeview box plugged in via HDMI. You can pick up decent quality 4K monitors around 27" with IPS or VA panels (best for image quality, avoid TN panels for their poor viewing angles) for about £250, leaving you some of your budget to find a cheap freeview box and speakers. This LG looks like a good pick;

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming...9~PCPartPicker
Wow thank you for that. Really appreciated
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's no bloody difference matey; the terms are used interchangably a lot nowadays. Especially if you're just playing on console.

Consider the Hz of it (that'll be the maximum FPS it shows, so a 60 Hz monitor shows up to 60 FPS, 120 Hz = 120 FPS etc.) and know your resolution terms (1080p, 2K, 4K, 1440p, UHD etc.) and start looking at stores and different reviews. The minimum you want is full HD (1080p) and 60 Hz, though I don't know if they even do crappy 50 Hz or 'HD ready' (720p) ones any more.
RRArsenal123
Rep:
?
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
It's no bloody difference matey; the terms are used interchangably a lot nowadays. Especially if you're just playing on console.

Consider the Hz of it (that'll be the maximum FPS it shows, so a 60 Hz monitor shows up to 60 FPS, 120 Hz = 120 FPS etc.) and know your resolution terms (1080p, 2K, 4K, 1440p, UHD etc.) and start looking at stores and different reviews. The minimum you want is full HD (1080p) and 60 Hz, though I don't know if they even do crappy 50 Hz or 'HD ready' (720p) ones any more.
Ayeeee thanks for that. I’ll keep an eye out
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Personally I prefer playing on my TV. It's a 65" Samsung Q9FN QLED. It's wall mounted opposite my bed. I work from home and in front of computer screens all day, so after work it's nice to just lay down and play on the big screen. Plus the sound bar (I got the Sonos Arc, with Dolby Atmos) and HDR is awesome, much more immersive.

I can get 4K HDR on there at 60Hz / fps or 1440p at 120Hz / fps. VRR, low latency etc. so had no issues so far and no lag. WiFi is around 200 - 300 Mbps.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 4 weeks ago
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Personally I prefer playing on my TV. It's a 65" Samsung Q9FN QLED. It's wall mounted opposite my bed. I work from home and in front of computer screens all day, so after work it's nice to just lay down and play on the big screen. Plus the sound bar (I got the Sonos Arc, with Dolby Atmos) and HDR is awesome, much more immersive.

I can get 4K HDR on there at 60Hz / fps or 1440p at 120Hz / fps. VRR, low latency etc. so had no issues so far and no lag. WiFi is around 200 - 300 Mbps.
This is all super relevant and helpful for somebody with a £300 budget :yy:
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gofre)
This is all super relevant and helpful for somebody with a £300 budget :yy:
Oh, sorry - umm for £300, you're better off just getting a good quality monitor. TVs will be rubbish at that price. I'd also suggest investing in a comfortable orthopaedic chair (NOT a gaming chair).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%