The Student Room Group

Durham vs KCL for economics?

I've applied and been accepted into both for BA Econ (L100 UCAS code)

I'm technically an international student (hold a British passport but haven't been able to visit the country for more than 7 years)

So I was wondering which one was better for economics as a course, as well as in terms of employability and affordability?

Thanks to anyone who answers!
As a KCL Econ grad myself I can say that the course is quite good. When I was there the optional modules were mostly politics-focused rather than business/finance-focused. I was not interested in politics so I opted for the non-politics modules, however the range of choice was very limited. There were also some teething problems as the KCL Econ course is new (introduced in 2017), so I was in the first cohort of graduates. Many of the modules were pre-existent though. But overall I can say that I enjoyed it there. You won't find any employability scores for the course since, as I said, the first cohort only graduated in 2020.

In terms of affordability, Durham is certainly more affordable than London. Living costs (especially accommodation and transport) in London are very high, can't even be compared to Durham or any place in the North East. Also, if you mind spending time commuting then you might not like London. KCL is not a campus uni so you would have to take the bus/tube (or walk if you live nearby, which would be expensive bc it's central London) to go to uni or anywhere else. I personally hated the large distances in London, and for me it was quite a busy/hectic life, but I don't regret studying there. So wherever you decide to go afterall, it won't be the end of the world! Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending