The Student Room Group

How do I show SFE that I was only temporarily studying abroad (Postgrad Loan)?

I had been living abroad for the past 5 years to pursue an LLB at the insistence of my parents. I came back a week ago and tried to apply for a Postgraduate Loan to study an LLM but was told by the website that I was ineligible.

"Based on your year of study and domicile, we cannot provide a Postgraduate Master's Loan for you at this time."

I spoke to someone on the phone who told me that Postgraduate Loan applications are not open at the moment - which is fine. However, I'm certain that my being abroad for the past 5 years also has a lot to do with it. I would therefore like to know how and when I can send proof that I was only abroad for school.
Original post by airotcivadu
I had been living abroad for the past 5 years to pursue an LLB at the insistence of my parents. I came back a week ago and tried to apply for a Postgraduate Loan to study an LLM but was told by the website that I was ineligible.

"Based on your year of study and domicile, we cannot provide a Postgraduate Master's Loan for you at this time."

I spoke to someone on the phone who told me that Postgraduate Loan applications are not open at the moment - which is fine. However, I'm certain that my being abroad for the past 5 years also has a lot to do with it. I would therefore like to know how and when I can send proof that I was only abroad for school.

Hi, what is your Nationality? Were you outside the EU/EEA?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, what is your Nationality? Were you outside the EU/EEA?
Thanks, Isaac

Hello Issac. Thank you for your swift reply. I am a British citizen with indefinite leave to remain. And, yes, I was outside the EU/EEA - in Ghana.
Hello Issac. Thank you for your swift reply. I am a British citizen with indefinite leave to remain. And, yes, I was outside the EU/EEA - in Ghana.

You're welcome. You will need to prove your time outside the UK in Ghana was temporary and you planned on returning to the UK.
Why were you in Ghana? If you prefer to talk privately, you can message us on Facebook or Twitter.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
You're welcome. You will need to prove your time outside the UK in Ghana was temporary and you planned on returning to the UK.
Why were you in Ghana? If you prefer to talk privately, you can message us on Facebook or Twitter.
Thanks, Isaac

I am happy to continue this conversation on Facebook, if that's okay. But to cut a long story short, I was there for a 4 year uni course. I hope have all the necessaries to show that my stay was temporary.
I am happy to continue this conversation on Facebook, if that's okay. But to cut a long story short, I was there for a 4 year uni course. I hope have all the necessaries to show that my stay was temporary.

As long as you can prove it was temporary then you should be eligible to apply for funding. You can private message us on Facebook to talk privately about this.

We can accept things like visas, letter from university confirming you were in the country temporarily to study, any proof you maintained ties with the UK such as keeping a bank account or paying bills etc.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending