I got 70 on a piece of uni coursework is this bad?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I got 70% on a piece of coursework at uni and I'm quite disappointed because a lot of my friends got high 80's and I think I just barely scraped a 1st. Does the difference in marks make a huge difference to my overall grade in the unit or does it not matter because a 70 and 80 etc are both 1sts. I'm sure the students that scored much higher marks would deserve to get better recognition compared to someone that just scraped the top grade?
willethwombat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You should be proud! No one is going to ask if its a high or a low 1st because simply put its still a 1st!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by willethwombat)
You should be proud! No one is going to ask if its a high or a low 1st because simply put its still a 1st!
Thanks a lot! I guess it's just so different to A level where a 70% would be considered a B grade and 80-90% would be A/A*, but at Uni there seems to be no differentiation in these grade boundaries for some reason.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's literally a first, of course it isn't bad.

Are you a first-year? This seems to be one of the teething issues that new students go through. Once you're used to the grading system, you'll be glad to get 70%, trust me. :lol:
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks a lot! I guess it's just so different to A level where a 70% would be considered a B grade and 80-90% would be A/A*, but at Uni there seems to be no differentiation in these grade boundaries for some reason.
If you feel like you should get 80%-90%

Get it.
username4748324
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
70 is really good, both are firsts so it doesn't affect the overall grade no.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MidgetFever)
It's literally a first, of course it isn't bad.

Are you a first-year? This seems to be one of the teething issues that new students go through. Once you're used to the grading system, you'll be glad to get 70%, trust me. :lol:
Thanks for the reassurance! Yes i am a first year, I'm just surprised as to how to grade boundaries are so low, but I'd assume that's due to the step up in difficulty from A level.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the reassurance! Yes i am a first year, I'm just surprised as to how to grade boundaries are so low, but I'd assume that's due to the step up in difficulty from A level.
The grading format at uni isn't really comparable to A-level generally (maybe a bit more for STEM subjects or language based subjects where it might be technically possible to get 100%), as there is a lot of "room at the top" to represent work that is at a very high level and (potentially) above and beyond the standard expected for an undergrad. Usually the assignments are a lot more open ended and less "canned" than in A-level, even for e.g. STEM/language subjects, and so there is definitely scope to demonstrate academic flair or what have you.

While obviously they will all count towards your average for the year, and getting higher marks in one module can mean that even if you get lower marks in another you might still achieve a high average, for a module on its own anything above 70% is the same. Bear in mind though that at most universities your first year doesn't count towards your final result (and in many that it does count, it is only a very small percentage towards your final classification) so the averaging matter is often not so relevant then.

It's a very good result though, invariably there will always be room for improvement but you can look at your result and feedback and identify how to improve while still also being happy with the result you got. These two things aren't mutually exclusive and you should try to not think of them as being so, as that ends up not being a very healthy mindset as you progress through a degree! It's quite rare typically to get more than ~80% in a lot of courses, and so even just getting in the low 70s is quite an achievement for many subject areas.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 weeks ago
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It seems as though the boundaries are low, but they're not - In some courses, it's notoriously difficult to score a first.

Be proud of your achievements.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In my experience unless it's some maths or computer science related paper with fixed answers (and even then a lot of the papers are open ended anyway, just a few are fixed) you shouldn't worry about it. So much room for interpretation and it's very different to high school. 70% is a very good mark.
SparkleFace
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nooooo, I’m not even at uni and I know it’s a great score!
Never compare yourselves to your friends, but use them as a finishing line to see how and why they got higher so you can improve. Like don’t make it a competition between you guys but use your friends to improve and get better at something you don’t get. Because that’s what friends are for. You guys should be helping each other to improve. But honestly, be proud. That’s an amazing score. You’re defo going in the right direction!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (513)
51.2%
No (489)
48.8%

Watched Threads