The Student Room Group

How employable is a business management degree?

Just what the above says really. Does it depend on the uni you go to?
I think it depends more on the grades than anything.

I wouldn't say it's more employable than say an English Literature degree or a degree in History.

With a business management degree, you're technically going for jobs that allow for any degree i.e. you can't really go into medicine or beome a scientist with it. Whilst you will learn a bunch of management theory and techniques that would prove useful within any business environment, employers tend to require you to learn from the ground up and do things their way, as if you never had learnt anything about business.The degree can prove useful if you decide to start your own business, but I wouldn't say it's more employable than any other degree.

I can't really say whether employers have a preference for management graduates from particular universities. If they do, I think it has more to do with the university than the actual degree.
Original post by MindMax2000
I think it depends more on the grades than anything.

I wouldn't say it's more employable than say an English Literature degree or a degree in History.

With a business management degree, you're technically going for jobs that allow for any degree i.e. you can't really go into medicine or beome a scientist with it. Whilst you will learn a bunch of management theory and techniques that would prove useful within any business environment, employers tend to require you to learn from the ground up and do things their way, as if you never had learnt anything about business.The degree can prove useful if you decide to start your own business, but I wouldn't say it's more employable than any other degree.

I can't really say whether employers have a preference for management graduates from particular universities. If they do, I think it has more to do with the university than the actual degree.

Hi @mindmax2000 @username5616806
I'm a second year Business Management student at the University of Surrey.

Yes, grades are important and you should to the best of your abilities, but part-time jobs and joining societies will add so much more to your CV! If an employer is deciding amongst 5 candidates and they have all achieved a 2:1, what will make them different from each other? Or let's say an employer is choosing amongst two candidates: A and B. Candidate A achieved a First but didn't have experience in roles of responsibility. Candidate B achieved a 2:1 but has work experience and has learned valuable skills in their time as part of a society. The employer is likely to choose candidate B. Check out this study and this article.

Just remember being more employable means doing things outside of your degree. Stand out from the crowd. Have some fun while you gain skills!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Elena, Business Management.
Original post by username5616806
Just what the above says really. Does it depend on the uni you go to?

Hi @username5616806

I'm Elena, a Business Management student at Surrey.

Different companies might put more or less importance on the university you went to. Universities do have different employability rates, and that is one of the things I looked at when I was researching different unis to decide to which ones to apply. Surrey's great employability record is one of the reasons I put it as my firm choice. Right now I'm applying to placements, which I'm hoping will increase my employability in the future and I can tell you Surrey offers lots of support in this. They have a website dedicated to finding placements and graduate jobs, and offer CV and cover letter reviews as well as 1-2-1 sessions to resolve any queries.

I'm assuming you want to do a business management degree, so if you want to check out Surrey's course overview, click here. I'm really liking my experience :smile: If you like what you see and want to know more about the uni, there are more than 150 clubs and societies at Surrey, so there is definitely one for you! They're a great way to meet people and have fun, but also to develop skills which are great for personal and professional growth. The university and the union also offer part-time jobs, so they're a great way to earn some extra money and add something to your CV! If you're interested in languages or sustainability, Surrey offers the free Golden Graduate Award module for these.

Hope this helped! If you have any questions, please ask :smile:
I hope you're having a great weekend.

Elena, Business Management.

Quick Reply

Latest