The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

Halls of Residence for Mature Student

Hi everyone, hope you're all well in these uncertain times.

I've been offered an unconditional offer to study Marine and Natural History Photography at Falmouth University Penryn Campus, to start in September 2021 (p.s. I'm 22yrs old now, 23yrs old by time I start in September)

As a mature student I'm curious to know which Halls of residence would be least rowdy (from people's experience) as I am happy to meet new people on the course and flat mates, but I am going to be there to study, not party all time. Maybe odd few pub nights but you know, not every night of every week haha.

I'm interested in Packsaddle as it looks quite small (accommodate roughly 126 students), modern hall of residence and very reasonably priced, 11min walk to campus, but not too busy like Glasney Student Village - which I assume would be most rowdy as it has can accommodate roughly 1,800 students?

I've also looked at Carrick View and the Quarry, which are further away, but I would be able to cycle about 22mins to campus.

Any feedback on these three would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Sam
(edited 3 years ago)
Hiya! Congrats on your offer! So I’m a current student but not mature but to answer some of your questions:
So I lived in Glasney and didn’t particularly find it rowdy in general but in terms of your flat it would just depend who you’re living with but believe you can choose to live with certain age groups so all mature students?
So I don’t know much about packsaddle but do know it’s very nice and also has dishwashers! But it does involve a lot of stairs up to campus!!
Just a thing to consider about the other two you’re looking at (sorry haven’t ever heard of them!) is that Cornwall has a lot of hills and rains a fair amount, just to keep in mind if planning on cycling!
Sorry that’s not much help but let me know if have any questions I could help with!
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Reply 2
Original post by business.gal
Hiya! Congrats on your offer! So I’m a current student but not mature but to answer some of your questions:
So I lived in Glasney and didn’t particularly find it rowdy in general but in terms of your flat it would just depend who you’re living with but believe you can choose to live with certain age groups so all mature students?
So I don’t know much about packsaddle but do know it’s very nice and also has dishwashers! But it does involve a lot of stairs up to campus!!
Just a thing to consider about the other two you’re looking at (sorry haven’t ever heard of them!) is that Cornwall has a lot of hills and rains a fair amount, just to keep in mind if planning on cycling!
Sorry that’s not much help but let me know if have any questions I could help with!

Hi Sorry for late reply, thought I would have received an email of any new responses.
Thank you for explaining it from your experience, I understand what you mean by dependent on who I'd be living with, rather than a particular Hall of residence. I did hear that you can opt for a mature option like you said, just wasn't entirely sure how it would work, so will definitely investigate that more by talking the Halls of residence themselves so I know what I'm applying for when I do choose one.

With the Halls that were further away, I did think they could be tough with the typical Cornish weather and like you say hill might make it bit of a rough journey in every week.
Will give it some thinking over, but thank you very much for your insight, it's greatly appreciated!
Reply 3
Original post by Sam_j_h
Hi Sorry for late reply, thought I would have received an email of any new responses.
Thank you for explaining it from your experience, I understand what you mean by dependent on who I'd be living with, rather than a particular Hall of residence. I did hear that you can opt for a mature option like you said, just wasn't entirely sure how it would work, so will definitely investigate that more by talking the Halls of residence themselves so I know what I'm applying for when I do choose one.

With the Halls that were further away, I did think they could be tough with the typical Cornish weather and like you say hill might make it bit of a rough journey in every week.
Will give it some thinking over, but thank you very much for your insight, it's greatly appreciated!

hey, am considering applying to Falmouth as a mature student myself this year! which accommodation did you choose? how was your experience?
interested to know as I am not sure which I would pick. thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest