Too old to start the CBT route? Confused on the process and time commitment

Watch this thread
Lololala7
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, I hope you're well

This is my first post on the forum after spending the past few weeks reading and lurking, but I thought I would just bite the bullet and post (so I apologize if this is going to be long...)

I am going to be 30 next year after working my entire life in performance, events and the travel industries. I had built up a nice freelance career, but always felt something was missing and I wanted something more - Corona then came around and destroyed my career.

I have always thought about moving into counselling/CBT Therapy training after working with a few charities over the years, and have spent the past few months working for the NHS test and trace service, where I've had to speak to some very mentally unstable and ill individuals - basically confirming to myself that I really do feel like I could not only make a difference in this field, but would be good at it as well...

However, here the problem lies. Like I said I am 30, and I am working full time. I do not have a prior degree, and would really need to start from scratch whilst continuing to work full time and provide for myself/my family. I am, despite hours and hours of research, still very confused with what the best route into this field would be for me and whether it is going to be even possible to obtain for someone like me, at my age, starting from ground 0 with a few financial commitments already.

I would have to go to the Open University as I would need to work full time on top of studies, hence meaning it would likely take a lot longer than 3 years due to the flexible study schedule needed. If I studied Psychology, I would then need to study counselling (with the part-time courses also looking like they take up to 4 years for level4/5), then get 400 hours of counselling work experience to become accredited, then study a masters in CBT, and then move onto an IAPT or even further study.

As a 30 year old trying to change career, and having to work fulltime on top of this... it is understandably a huge, and very long time commitment process that is terrifying me.

Basically, I guess my question is ... is this the correct route? Will it take this long (we're looking at almost, or around, 10 years of study with my time constraints), and has anyone done this? Or is there another route into counselling/cbt that others think would be more successful for someone in my position?

Apologies for the long post, but any advice would be hugely helpful. Have a lovely day.
Last edited by Lololala7; 1 year ago
6add9
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
You can do your cbt at any age from 16 plus, what licence are you wanting to get op? I have a 125cc and I just need my cbt for that but have to use L plates
Lololala7
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 6add9)
You can do your cbt at any age from 16 plus, what licence are you wanting to get op? I have a 125cc and I just need my cbt for that but have to use L plates
Apologies, I think you've misunderstood! I am speaking about cognitive behavioral therapist training, not CBT motorcycle and moped training, which I believe you are inquiring about?
psychold
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Not at all, I am 35 and just started a part time psychology degree. I'm interested in clinical psychology and here is an example of a post I saw https://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20552 called too old for clin psych. People start at all different kinds of ages. Its a cliche but - ITS NEVER TOO LATE, and its about following your passion and being committed. If you want it - you can make it happen, your age isnt a factor. You in fact will bring more life experience than someone who is fresh out of uni at 21 years old.
Here's something someone said to me and it really motivates me. I said If I want to be a clinical psychologist, it might take be into my 45,46, 47 to do so.
They said: On my 45th or 46th or 47th birthday I can blow out the candles as I am currently or blow them out as 'Doctor' .... So i'll say the same to you - time waits for no one. That time will come whether I like it or not. You can blow out the candles at that age you imagined and be as you are now or as a Psychotherapist. PLUS youre only 30, its NOT OLD, you can basicallly do anything by the time you're 40. GOOD LUCK and all the best
Ellisred
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hello there,I'm by no means an expert as I'm also looking into this career path currently. However, I've just been accepted onto a COSCA Counselling Skills Certificate Course which is one day a week for 6 months (£1200). From there you can progress to a CBT Diploma which takes two years and can be done one day a week or a full weekend once per month (circa £7500 over two years).You can then apply to become accredited and begin practicing from there. This is the info I got from the course convener about the commitments needed for the diploma:
"Year 1 - 4 x essays submissions between 3000-4000 words each
Year 2 - 4 x Case studies on different Axis 1 Disorders (2 x Anxiety based and 2 x Depression based) (4000 words each) and 1 x final Research proposal (8000 words)
Completion of 100 hours of CBT external practice (80 hours practice and 20 Groupwork hours), 200 hours if considering provisional accreditation application to BABCP.
Study time will vary, but you will need to account for research time and time to complete your academic work as stated above."
There's funding available for both if needs be.

You don't need a psychology degree to become a CBT therapist. I have a film degree and currently work in TV. I'm going to do the counselling skills certificate whilst working full time and then hopefully do the same with the diploma - although may end up reducing hours depending on how I find the workload. I'm nearly 29 so also looking for the fastest route!
Last edited by Ellisred; 1 year ago
Khloeh
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey! How have you got on? I have been looking into this a lot too and I am the same age. From my research they've made it harder to train as a CBT therapist as from October 2020 you need a "core profession" such as mental health nurse, occupational therapist etc. Looking at any NHS vacancy it is a definite requirement. When it comes to the CBT courses at university (which are postgraduate) any accredited course requires you to have a placement for 3 days a week and again requires you to have a core profession.
Ellisred
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Khloeh)
Hey! How have you got on? I have been looking into this a lot too and I am the same age. From my research they've made it harder to train as a CBT therapist as from October 2020 you need a "core profession" such as mental health nurse, occupational therapist etc. Looking at any NHS vacancy it is a definite requirement. When it comes to the CBT courses at university (which are postgraduate) any accredited course requires you to have a placement for 3 days a week and again requires you to have a core profession.
I guess it depends on what you want to do. I have a friend who's just finished her CBT diploma and she's started working as a counselling at one of the big unis a few days a week and then does private practice work freelance as well.
TMJ81
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, may I ask who the course is with that gave you the above information please? 🙂
TMJ81
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, may I ask who the course is through that gave you the above info please?
sweetpotato3
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No! My mum started CBT at 42 years old, and is now a very happy Step 3 therapist
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
70.41%
In the post (3)
3.06%
Text (13)
13.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
13.27%

Watched Threads