siodvcnseuv
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello! I am currently taking a gap year and I have already received my A level grades:
Maths: A
Biology: B
Health and Social care BTEC (Distinction).
My plan was to apply for degree apprenticeships during the gap year in software engineering. However, I might waste another whole year if I don't get into any of the apprenticeships. I was thinking of applying to uni through UCAS just in case I don't get an apprenticeship. The deadline is in 2 days and I still don't have my personal statement. Should I apply or not?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes apply
It only takes a couple of hours to write a PS. What is more likely to delay your application is getting an academic reference arranged, written and submitted before the deadline.
siodvcnseuv
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Yes apply
It only takes a couple of hours to write a PS. What is more likely to delay your application is getting an academic reference arranged, written and submitted before the deadline.
Should I ask my old school for a reference? And how many references do I need?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by siodvcnseuv)
Should I ask my old school for a reference? And how many references do I need?
You need 1 reference. Your school would normally be best but they might struggle to get it written in time. Talk to them (on the phone if possible) TODAY to find out if it's an option.
And get the rest of your application sorted out ASAP so that you can maximise the time you can give your referee to write your reference.
If it looks like you will struggle to get a reference in time then RING (don't email you don't have time) each of your universities to ask whether they'll accept a UCAS application without a reference if you can supply the reference to them later on.
siodvcnseuv
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You need 1 reference. Your school would normally be best but they might struggle to get it written in time. Talk to them (on the phone if possible) TODAY to find out if it's an option.
And get the rest of your application sorted out ASAP so that you can maximise the time you can give your referee to write your reference.
If it looks like you will struggle to get a reference in time then RING (don't email you don't have time) each of your universities to ask whether they'll accept a UCAS application without a reference if you can supply the reference to them later on.
Thanks! Is it possible to apply through my old school? If not, I will have to apply as an individual candidate.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by siodvcnseuv)
Thanks! Is it possible to apply through my old school? If not, I will have to apply as an individual candidate.
Fill it in as an individual for now. That way you can work on all your bits while you try to sort everything else out.

When you speak to your school then ask them how they would like you to add them to get your reference added. It's easy to convert an individual application to one through a centre (but a nightmare to switch the other way).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (77)
11.83%
Virtual campus tours/open days (158)
24.27%
Live streaming events (52)
7.99%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
9.06%
A uni comparison tool (152)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (153)
23.5%