English Literature or Sociology A-Level?

Watch
FreddieFair
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Dear all

Hope everyone is well and keeping safe.

I was just wondering what everyone's opinions were on English Literature and Sociology A-level. I'm struggling to decide between the two and would love some pointers:

-Which one would you think was easier/less challenging?
-Which one do you think universities think higher of?
-Which one did you enjoy?

Appreciate your time.
ribenafan55
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I imagine English Lit is better regarded by unis generally, rightly or wrongly it's more 'traditional', although that's majorly dependent on which degree you're going for.

The other two questions - I think only your answers are important.

I found English Lit way more interesting at A Level compared to GCSE but then I chose it as my degree subject. I also like how flexible the workload is compared to my other subjects (bio, chem, and maths).
FreddieFair
Rep:
?
(Original post by ribenafan55)
I imagine English Lit is better regarded by unis generally, rightly or wrongly it's more 'traditional', although that's majorly dependent on which degree you're going for.

The other two questions - I think only your answers are important.

I found English Lit way more interesting at A Level compared to GCSE but then I chose it as my degree subject. I also like how flexible the workload is compared to my other subjects (bio, chem, and maths)
Yes I am also taking maths, as well as cs, so II imagine it will be a nice break from so much theory based work.

Thank you so much for your opinion, really appreciate it.

All the best
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FreddieFair)
Dear all

Hope everyone is well and keeping safe.

I was just wondering what everyone's opinions were on English Literature and Sociology A-level. I'm struggling to decide between the two and would love some pointers:

-Which one would you think was easier/less challenging?
-Which one do you think universities think higher of?
-Which one did you enjoy?

Appreciate your time.
I did sociology and loved it. I found it interesting. It was also my easiest subject.
I didn't do English literature though so can't comment on that.
FreddieFair
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
I did sociology and loved it. I found it interesting. It was also my easiest subject.
I didn't do English literature though so can't comment on that.
Thanks very much Emma
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FreddieFair)
Thanks very much Emma
Any time.
Have you done it at GCSE?
honeyhugs91
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
English Literature is usually seen as somewhat similar to a facilitating subject so maybe if you're not sure about a career, that might be what you want to do. I'm currently do AQA Sociology (I'm in year 12) and I think people don't talk about the number of names and dates you have to learn (obviously not absolutely every single one) but it might be something to consider although I do really enjoy it. I don't do English Lit, but I did almost do it (I chose English Language instead) and something I didn't know was that you have another anthology to go through which has pretty long poems - so if that's your thing then maybe look into it.

Also, looking at the specs might help you decided because you'll have more of an idea of what you'll be learning and the exam questions/ styles.
FreddieFair
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
Any time.
Have you done it at GCSE
I took GCSE Lit but not sociology, although sociology looks really interesting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (609)
49.11%
No (631)
50.89%

Watched Threads