Schools to remain closed in England until at least March 8th

Watch
Poll: Do you think delaying schools re-opening is the right decision?
Yes (280)
63.06%
No (124)
27.93%
I'm not sure (40)
9.01%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55828952

Breaking news from Boris Johnson that schools will not be able to go back after half term as hoped, but will not look at beginning to start in-person teaching again for all students until March 8th.

He acknowledged that this would be 'frustrating' for pupils, parents and teachers.

EDIT: from BBC article

'Mr Johnson told the House of Commons he hoped other lockdown restrictions could begin to be gradually eased at some point after schools reopen, but pupils returning to class would be the "first sign of normality".

In the week of 22 February, the government would have more information on whether vaccines block transmission and how the vaccine will reduce hospitalisations and deaths, he said, allowing them to plan for the "gradual and phased" reopening.'

What do you think of the news? Were you expecting it?

What, if any, challenges are you facing at the moment with online learning?

Let us know your thoughts!
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 4 weeks ago
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Didn't he say they'd be open after half term? Think him and his cabinet need to learn to keep it shut until they have anything concrete to say.
username5457326
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
in my opinion i was expecting to go back a bit later than February
Last edited by username5457326; 4 weeks ago
sy!¡
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
good decision
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was expecting something like this. I thought it would open later though.

Edit: At least 8th March. In other words, they just chose a random date to indirectly tell everyone to shut up now. They don’t have a plan, we are doomed.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 4 weeks ago
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know it’s for the best but (selfishly) I can’t help feeling a bit disappointed even though it’s only been pushed back 2 weeks
Last edited by laurawatt; 4 weeks ago
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55828952

Breaking news from Boris Johnson that schools will not be able to go back after half term as hoped, but will not look at beginning to start in-person teaching again for all students until March 8th.

He acknowledged that this would be 'frustrating' for pupils, parents and teachers.

EDIT: from BBC article

'Mr Johnson told the House of Commons he hoped other lockdown restrictions could begin to be gradually eased at some point after schools reopen, but pupils returning to class would be the "first sign of normality".

In the week of 22 February, the government would have more information on whether vaccines block transmission and how the vaccine will reduce hospitalisations and deaths, he said, allowing them to plan for the "gradual and phased" reopening.'

What do you think of the news? Were you expecting it?

What, if any, challenges are you facing at the moment with online learning?

Let us know your thoughts!
Honestly, it makes very little difference to me as I've been working at home since September. Maybe I'll consider heading back if things are safer in March because it's really getting difficult to stay motivated, but we'll have to see about that one.

I don't understand why he seems so focused on getting schools back first when it's schools that seem to be causing so much of a spread. I've heard maybe it's to free up the parents so that they can get back to work, but it just seems dangerous. I almost wish we could just write this year off.
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Obviously online learning isn't the best, but I do appreciate them being realistic and updating their timescales with a bit of warning - this is the most "organised" they've been about schools so far, and it does make me feel safer that they aren't rushing it.
A_J_B
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I will always want students to get the best of face-face teaching as online learning is difficult for many. However, if they can vaccinate more teachers in this period of time, I can see the point.
Roman M
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I understand their reasons for doing so, doesn't make me any less upset.
FAMER4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I completely understand their reason for doing so, but to be honest, why March? I think putting the reopening date as March 8th is a bit risky, and I do forsee it being pushed further, again.
linedpaper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Of course it's the wrong decision. Futures over futiles.

Teachers aren't more likely to get covid, they don't need vaccines
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55795608

Most cases are either in hospitals, care homes or spread in family units.
My school, in a tier 3/4 area before lockdown had no sixth form cases and 1 lower school case.
It isn't fair to schools that had very few cases. I think really they should be in on a case by case basis.
We belong in the classroom
Last edited by linedpaper; 4 weeks ago
Interea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by linedpaper)

My school, in a tier 3/4 area before lockdown had no sixth form cases and 1 lower school case.
It isn't fair to schools that had very few cases. I think really they should be in on a case by case basis.
My school has been in tier 2 at most before lockdown, and has had 31 cases (each resulting in about 30 self isolation notices) - unfortunately there’d just be too much work and subjectivity involved in working on a school by school basis, and if someone made the wrong call the blame would then be shifted to the staff at the school, which they really don’t need right now.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was surprised as I expected him to say schools weren't going back until after Easter.

As someone who works in a school I'm now a bit worried about going back as in pop up school we only have 10 pupils or so in a class so this is a whole new ballgame.

I agree with Labour that teachers and other school staff should receive their first vaccination over the February half term if they are expected to mix with groups of 30 just 3 weeks later. But then I would say that, I'm sure other groups would say they should be protected first :dontknow:
mareena1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by linedpaper)

"futures over futiles"?
That is disgusting. Would you feel the same if it was one of your loved ones dying?
CosmicApathy1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
He has no idea. **** him and everything he stands for. He's ****ed everything up because he's brainless.
Fresher18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When he said mid Feb originally I was always expecting it to be easter if not later. imo its better to wait until after easter when even more people would've been vaccinated and then reopen for the summer term rather than going back for a few weeks before shutting for the easter break and reopening again, some consistency helps keep routine.
SparkleFace
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Watch there be another u-turn again.
They only gave a date because parents were giving pressure and wanted a ‘route out’. One of the news articles said ‘by at least March 8th’ that’s just like saying beginning of March. And what’s the point? Once students go back they’ll only have 3 weeks of school then a big fat Easter holiday that takes up most of April, so everyone will technically return in may.
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A couple of points I think being missed here: if that date is stuck to, it's not going to be for everyone. Vaccinating teachers doesn't really help the issue because it's still a huge mixing of households with students. And, even if students themselves aren't getting infected (or people are vaccinated) it doesn't stop you from still passing it on to home.

So, until community transmission is significantly reduced - which could take months at current rates because they won't shut things down hard - then it's just going to be a bad idea on the public health front.

But the reality is we shouldn't have ever been in this situation in the first place. Half of the pandemic deaths have taken place since mid November and it's a younger demographic on the wards than before... We have only government to blame.
Stark°3000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At this point I'm just questioning whether I should even go to Uni and do a placement year.
If the course I want to do is going to be taught online, then why bother? I think I might consider doing an apprenticeship (unless everything changes and covid goes away).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (449)
51.73%
No (419)
48.27%

Watched Threads