Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I cant afford to pay for a MacBook and only have enough for a £400 HP laptop, what can I do?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Live within your means like everyone else
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I cant afford to pay for a MacBook and only have enough for a £400 HP laptop, what can I do?
Nothing.
sy!¡
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
get a means of income
Anonymous #1
Live within your means like everyone else
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Nothing.
(Original post by sy!¡)
get a means of income
Is it worth it to get a £500 loan from the back or pay in monthly installments because i cant afford paying for it outright, only a £400 HP laptop
sy!¡
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is it worth it to get a £500 loan from the back or pay in monthly installments because i cant afford paying for it outright, only a £400 HP laptop
don’t get a loan from the bank. pay in monthly instalments seems like a good idea.
NedgarDavids
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Get a £400 HP laptop. Not being sarcastic or anything, genuinely that is the best option by far and away.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What is the interest rate on this loan?
Are you confident that you will be able to pay it back with in the required time period?

Generally getting a loan is a bad idea.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why get a Mac when you literally don't need one?

You could get a laptop that's arguably better than a Mac for probably half the price.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Please don't go for any monthly options - if you can't afford it outright it's best to not buy it at all and save up. Don't trap yourself into debt!

When you start working you can request a MacBook then, I always do and they give me the highest spec MacBook Pro every time - never have to pay for it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by sy!¡)
don’t get a loan from the bank. pay in monthly instalments seems like a good idea.
Ok

(Original post by NedgarDavids)
Get a £400 HP laptop. Not being sarcastic or anything, genuinely that is the best option by far and away.
But my friends have macbook and say its better and that HP is for broke people

(Original post by glassalice)
What is the interest rate on this loan?
Are you confident that you will be able to pay it back with in the required time period?

Generally getting a loan is a bad idea.
Interest rate is 14.9% and i think its payable with maintenance loan helping to pay

(Original post by MidgetFever)
Why get a Mac when you literally don't need one?

You could get a laptop that's arguably better than a Mac for probably half the price.
my friends and people say that MacBook is the best laptop to buy and all other brands, barring top gaming laptops like alienware, are not worth it and bad
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not unless you are sure you can pay it off.

A MacBook isn’t a necessity.
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What would you be using your new purchase for?

I would have thought that a £400 HP laptop would fit the bill perfectly.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
my friends and people say that MacBook is the best laptop to buy and all other brands, barring top gaming laptops like alienware, are not worth it and bad
Aye - They say it because they're appreciating it for the brand, not the actual specs themselves.
NedgarDavids
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"HP is for broke people"

I'm sorry but this is just a materialistic disgusting attitude. This is why people end up getting into massive debt because "hurrr durrr muh top brand is only acceptable thing". No. ****ing no. Your friend is full of ****. I'm from a poor background myself, I appreciate that it sucks when you want to get a more high end option but if you can't afford it you can't afford it, debt is just a slippery slope you don't want to go down.

Aside from the ridiculous mindset of "hp is for broke people" they're just not accurate in saying in saying all other brands are bad. Maybe not as good as Macbook sure, that's why they're cheaper but they're still absolutely fine for the job and way better value for money.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kerzen)
What would you be using your new purchase for?

I would have thought that a £400 HP laptop would fit the bill perfectly.
i want it for university

(Original post by MidgetFever)
Aye - They say it because they're appreciating it for the brand, not the actual specs themselves.
ok tnx ill take this into consideration
chloenix
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As someone with a Macbook, they are not that good. Mine freezes all the time and I'm constantly losing my work. Let's be real, having a Macbook is only for the show, and if I could turn back time and not buy it, I would.

Also, 'HP is for broke people'. You're broke then lol. You're the one who can't afford a Macbook, not us. If you want to go completely broke trying to look rich then that's on you. But you will regret it.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
get a used one if you want one so badly
lyates920
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve got a MacBook and oh my god they are NOT worth it! And certainly not worth a loan. You’re paying for the brand not the quality.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your friends don't seem to know much about computers.

I always look at value for money, even though I am wealthy. Thinking that you must use debt to buy the latest trendy brand is a recipe for financial hardship - don't do it.

Look at what you need a laptop for, and buy something adequate. If you're living on a student loan, you simply cannot afford expensive brands.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.26%
No (823)
67.74%

Watched Threads