The Student Room Group

Accommodation costs during placement?

Hi all,
I've applied to study a healthcare science course next year which includes around 50 weeks of practical/placement. For example, 3 1-week placements in year one and then a 40-week placement between the second and third years. Some of the sites have (limited) hospital accommodation available, the ones that gave prices said around £60/week. For anyone else studying a degree with placements, where have you stayed during the placements? What sort of place do you suggest if there's no hospital accommodation available? And how did you manage the costs associated with travel and accommodation to placements? Thank you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
i stayed in hospital accomodation for my first and second year (same hospital) but found a private place for my third year placement which was at a different hospital. Obvs my situation will be different to yours, you will need to think about where ur accommodation is, ie. how far is it from placement, is the area safe, how far will you be wanting to walk to and from hospital etc, plus you also have to consider costs involved and if you will get any help from uni or the nhs.
Is it in a single place or multiple?

I had placements in a few different places for a few weeks at a time and accommodation was always provided for free, and travel to and from reimbursed.

This would be a reasonable question to ask the uni directly.
Original post by nexttime
Is it in a single place or multiple?

I had placements in a few different places for a few weeks at a time and accommodation was always provided for free, and travel to and from reimbursed.

This would be a reasonable question to ask the uni directly.

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, a couple of the unis I've had offers from do reimburse you for costs, however the others expect you to fund the travel to and from placement and any required accommodation. I have an applicant day with one of them next week and am planning to ask about this, as having 40 weeks of placement with them in the 2nd/3rd year will be £2,400 for the cheapest hospital accommodation alone. I believe the long placement is at one place, with the short 'taster' ones in first year being in different places.
Original post by Ram Charan
i stayed in hospital accomodation for my first and second year (same hospital) but found a private place for my third year placement which was at a different hospital. Obvs my situation will be different to yours, you will need to think about where ur accommodation is, ie. how far is it from placement, is the area safe, how far will you be wanting to walk to and from hospital etc, plus you also have to consider costs involved and if you will get any help from uni or the nhs.

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Some of the unis I've had offers from do help with costs, but the others expect students to fund travel and accommodation
Original post by fiskadoro
Thanks for the reply :smile:
Some of the unis I've had offers from do help with costs, but the others expect students to fund travel and accommodation

no problem, always happy to help. what degree are u going for if u dont mind me asking?
Original post by Ram Charan
no problem, always happy to help. what degree are u going for if u dont mind me asking?

Audiology, what was your degree? :smile:
Original post by fiskadoro
Audiology, what was your degree? :smile:

mine was on cardiac physiology

Quick Reply

Latest