The Student Room Group

How competitive are degree apprenticeships?

I am currently applying for degree apprenticeships in software engineering in London. I was wondering how competitive they are? I have A levels at grade AAB and have done a few projects and also got my portfolio website.
Also, what should I do just in case I don't get any degree apprenticeship? I am taking a gap year and don't want to take another one.
Original post by siodvcnseuv
I am currently applying for degree apprenticeships in software engineering in London. I was wondering how competitive they are? I have A levels at grade AAB and have done a few projects and also got my portfolio website.
Also, what should I do just in case I don't get any degree apprenticeship? I am taking a gap year and don't want to take another one.

I can't say how competitive they are in London, but I was successful in getting a software engineering degree apprenticeship at a very large company outside London and I was told there were 500+ candidates to 5 apprentice positions. Your portfolio website in my opinion will dramatically increase your chances as at this stage, employers will be looking mainly for enthusiasm and potential (which is demonstrated by a website even if it is terrible).

If you are not successful, you can apply to university for CS, attend coding boot camps or even get low-level Dev jobs, I applied with a portfolio website myself and the skills that I learnt from making it were by far enough to secure a junior website developer or frontend specific role.
(edited 3 years ago)

it mostly depends on which company, but generally, yes they are very competitive. the problem is that most companies only hire 5-10 apprentices per office, but there are a lot of applicants.

google, facebook and amazon, are the most competitive, (the assessment centre which is the final stage, will have about 50 people in total, for 15 positions), and you do need personal projects + experience to get in, so you having them will help a lot. ofcourse, they pay the best too, your starting salary will be 26k for facebook and 30k for amazon/google.

my advice to you is to apply to all the ones you see because you have nothing to lose, but also apply to uni.

which companies have you applied to / want to apply to? i was in similar shoes to you last year and applied to basically everything
Original post by Gent2324
it mostly depends on which company, but generally, yes they are very competitive. the problem is that most companies only hire 5-10 apprentices per office, but there are a lot of applicants.

google, facebook and amazon, are the most competitive, (the assessment centre which is the final stage, will have about 50 people in total, for 15 positions), and you do need personal projects + experience to get in, so you having them will help a lot. ofcourse, they pay the best too, your starting salary will be 26k for facebook and 30k for amazon/google.

my advice to you is to apply to all the ones you see because you have nothing to lose, but also apply to uni.

which companies have you applied to / want to apply to? i was in similar shoes to you last year and applied to basically everything

Thanks for your response! I have already applied for a role with Arup. I am deciding to apply with other companies like goldman sachs, morgan stanley, bae systems. If I don't end up getting a degree one, I'll apply for higher ones with BP, facebok... etc. I am also currently applying to uni, just in case I don't get any apprenticeships.

Also, I am not sure if I should apply for data science ones too? I am into software engineering, but data science seems kinda linked to this too
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks for your response! I have already for a role with Arup. I am deciding to apply with other companies like goldman sachs, morgan stanley, bae systems. If I don't end up getting a degree one, I'll apply for higher ones with BP, facebok... etc. I am also currently applying for uni, just in case I don't get any apprenticeships.

thats not the way to think about it, facebook/google/amazon are probably the best software engineering apprenticeships, don't be put off by the fact that google and facebook don't give you a degree, you are mostly likely to get a full time offer after you finish the apprenticeship. no one will care about the degree if you have experience at those companies.

Im pretty sure its too late to apply to Goldman Sachs now, but I might be wrong.
thats not the way to think about it, facebook/google/amazon are probably the best software engineering apprenticeships, don't be put off by the fact that google and facebook don't give you a degree, you are mostly likely to get a full time offer after you finish the apprenticeship. no one will care about the degree if you have experience at those companies.

Im pretty sure its too late to apply to Goldman Sachs now, but I might be wrong.

Yh that's true, but I am after a degree because I am planning to move abroad in future.
Deadline for goldman sachs is like end of february, I guess it's still possible?
Yh that's true, but I am after a degree because I am planning to move abroad in future.
Deadline for goldman sachs is like end of february, I guess it's still possible?

possible yea, but late, gs is first come first served so you should always apply asap.
possible yea, but late, gs is first come first served so you should always apply asap.

yh true. Do you think it's a good idea to do a higher apprenticeship and then move to do a degree one with another company rather than staying with the same company after finishing the higher one?
yh true. Do you think it's a good idea to do a higher apprenticeship and then move to do a degree one with another company rather than staying with the same company after finishing the higher one?

if its with google/facebook/amazon you should stay afterwards, they are amongst the best places for the software engineers and with the apprenticeship you are almost guaranteed a job there. no one will care about you not having a degree since you are working at places almost every engineer wants to go to.

if its not those companies, maybe you should switch after the higher apprenticeship.
if its with google/facebook/amazon you should stay afterwards, they are amongst the best places for the software engineers and with the apprenticeship you are almost guaranteed a job there. no one will care about you not having a degree since you are working at places almost every engineer wants to go to.

if its not those companies, maybe you should switch after the higher apprenticeship.

Thanks! I got AAB for my A levels with an A in maths. I nearly completed 600 hours worth of coding through freeCodeCamp in under 3 months, and I also have my portoflio website: saimaliportfolio.com
Does this help me stand out, or should I do more?
Thanks! I got AAB for my A levels with an A in maths. I nearly completed 600 hours worth of coding through freeCodeCamp in under 3 months, and I also have my portoflio website: saimaliportfolio.com
Does this help me stand out, or should I do more?

thats fine, maybe put more of an emphasis on a programming language rather than HTML + css
Reply 11
Original post by Hoc est Bellum
I can't say how competitive they are in London, but I was successful in getting a software engineering degree apprenticeship at a very large company outside London and I was told there were 500+ candidates to 5 apprentice positions. Your portfolio website in my opinion will dramatically increase your chances as at this stage, employers will be looking mainly for enthusiasm and potential (which is demonstrated by a website even if it is terrible).

If you are not successful, you can apply to university for CS, attend coding boot camps or even get low-level Dev jobs, I applied with a portfolio website myself and the skills that I learnt from making it were by far enough to secure a junior website developer or frontend specific role.

Hi, If you don't mind me asking how is your degree apprentership going? any regrets? would you say its a better option than uni?
Original post by h.h.
Hi, If you don't mind me asking how is your degree apprentership going? any regrets? would you say its a better option than uni?

It is going well for me and I don't have any regrets.

I would say for most cases, doing a degree apprenticeship is far better than going to university. That is if your goal is to become an industry software engineer. Ability is the primary thing employers look for, even when you are applying to FAANG companies. The best way to develop your ability is through experience, which you get far more of doing a degree apprenticeship. There is a reason that most large companies offer apprenticeship schemes (including Facebook, Amazon and Google), it's because they recognise the value of the scheme.

If your goal is to go into research/ai or some advanced software engineering, it would be advantageous to do a degree in computer science (unless you can find an apprenticeship program specific to research/ai). The degree that you get with an apprenticeship (Digital and Technology Solutions) is not as technical as computer science. I personally would describe it as a software engineering and project management degree. It is the ideal scheme to become an industry software engineer with opportunities to progress into leadership positions. If you are looking for something else, this is likely not the scheme for you. This doesn't eliminate the possibility of pursuing technical fields though. I certainly am within the entry requirements of an Advanced Computer Science masters degree, although it may be more difficult for me than a CS/Maths graduate.

Another driving factor is the pay. By the end of my scheme, I will have no debts and a high paying job. A mid-level (non-senior) software engineer at my company earns about £50k (according to glassdoor). The company I work for pays about at industry level - so 50% of companies pay more. Also bear in mind this is outside of London.
Hey,

If you still need some help head over to our Q&A running this week on apprenticeships, we have experts available to answer your questions:

National Apprenticeship Week Q&A

MP :smile:
Thanks for your response! I have already applied for a role with Arup. I am deciding to apply with other companies like goldman sachs, morgan stanley, bae systems. If I don't end up getting a degree one, I'll apply for higher ones with BP, facebok... etc. I am also currently applying to uni, just in case I don't get any apprenticeships.

Also, I am not sure if I should apply for data science ones too? I am into software engineering, but data science seems kinda linked to this topic

Did you get a place at any of these? I'm applying to GS and Morgan Stanley this year. Tell me how you're getting on
Original post by thewizard55
Did you get a place at any of these? I'm applying to GS and Morgan Stanley this year. Tell me how you're getting on

OP is not likely to reply as this thread is a year old.

From my experience in a different industry and from what I've heard, apprenticeships, especially at degree level are always very competitive.

Grades and portfolio are good but not necessarily enough. Good interviewing skills are key. You've got to show you're reliable, passionate, can think on your feet, curious, leadership is always a good sign too.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
OP is not likely to reply as this thread is a year old.

Yeah thought it would be useful to try and find someone already on the courses I am applying for so that I can get advice and stuff.
Original post by thewizard55
Yeah thought it would be useful to try and find someone already on the courses I am applying for so that I can get advice and stuff.

You can make a new thread and see if any current students reply to the new thread you make

Quick Reply

Latest