Word Count Watch

This discussion is closed.
Trundle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi,
Has anybody here ever been penalised for going over a word count, and if so - how much were you over? My AQA English Lit coursework is being sent off, and has a word limit of 2,000 words excluding quotes. Excluding quotes my essay comes to 2,285 words, which my teacher says is fine because they are usually lenient by a couple of hundred each way as long as you are not talking much more over.

Do you think I will be OK with this word count? I have cut as much out and tried to be as concise as possible!

Thanks
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think that should be fine for AS-level as it's only 200 words over, but apparently they get really strict at A2. My exam board is Edexcel and our word count is 1500 excludng quotes, but my teacher told me anything up to 1800 was OK.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I think that should be fine for AS-level as it's only 200 words over, but apparently they get really strict at A2. My exam board is Edexcel and our word count is 1500 excludng quotes, but my teacher told me anything up to 1800 was OK.
It is stricter for A2, yes.

For History coursework (Edexcel), if you exceed the maximum word limit by a single word you automatically can't score marks higher than 28 (approx. 'C' grade).
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Perplexed)
It is stricter for A2, yes.

For History coursework (Edexcel), if you exceed the maximum word limit by a single word you automatically can't score marks higher than 28 (approx. 'C' grade).
:eek: Damn, I do history with Edexcel and I'll probably carry on to A2! One boy in my class is really going to struggle with that- he wrote a 2000-word essay for an exam question!
naiidian
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
The guidelines in the mark scheme for our chemistry written task last year were that anyone writing more than 1000 words would be penalised, the sheet we were given said it had a 500 word limit, so they are quite tolerant. I don't know anything about english or history tho!
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think then general rule is it can be +/- 10% but they are quite lenient about that stuff.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (116)
80.56%
Leave (28)
19.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed