The Student Room Group

Oxford foundation year with a BTEC?

Hello,

I was just wondering whether anyone has gotten into Oxford University’s Foundation year with only a BTEC?

I meet their eligibility requirement and they say they accept BTEC only students however I’m worried that I’ll be at a disadvantage.

I know I have the academic ability however my grades don’t really reflect this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by S1M001
Hello,

I was just wondering whether anyone has gotten into Oxford University’s Foundation year with only a BTEC?

I meet their eligibility requirement and they say they accept BTEC only students however I’m worried that I’ll be at a disadvantage.

I know I have the academic ability however my grades don’t really reflect this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If it says they accept it, it shouldn't be at all a disadvantage if you have the minimum grade requirements! Though it is for the foundation year, I'd imagine they still mainly use an interview as the deciding factor, but if you're really worried, send them an email! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emily.charl0
If it says they accept it, it shouldn't be at all a disadvantage if you have the minimum grade requirements! Though it is for the foundation year, I'd imagine they still mainly use an interview as the deciding factor, but if you're really worried, send them an email! :smile:

Hello Emily! Thanks for your reply.

I meet the criteria for the foundation year and they accept BTECs but I still feel like I would be at a disadvantage because of my qualification. Maybe it’s just the idea of getting into Oxford with a BTEC which is just surreal. Thanks so much :smile:
don’t worry too much about it!! what subject is it for? i’m applying for the PPE foundation year @ LMH :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by azby1098
don’t worry too much about it!! what subject is it for? i’m applying for the PPE foundation year @ LMH :smile:

I’m applying for Law. Have you sent yours off yet?
Original post by S1M001
I’m applying for Law. Have you sent yours off yet?

ahh nice!! no i haven’t haha. i only decided i was applying this week so i need to get my act together and write my personal statement/essay this weekend. i’m assuming u also meet all of the indicators?
Reply 6
ahh nice!! no i haven’t haha. i only decided i was applying this week so i need to get my act together and write my personal statement/essay this weekend. i’m assuming u also meet all of the indicators?

Same. I only found out about this foundation year a couple days back and was surprised to find that I was eligible.

So now I’m trying to write the perfect personal statement. How will you be structuring it or what will you be talking about, if you don’t minded me asking.
Original post by S1M001
Same. I only found out about this foundation year a couple days back and was surprised to find that I was eligible.

So now I’m trying to write the perfect personal statement. How will you be structuring it or what will you be talking about, if you don’t minded me asking.

yeah haha i’m the same i never realised i was eligible either!
what are your gcses/btec grades like?

i’m using the pointers on the application form and going into detail on PPE, because you have more characters than a normal personal statement.

i’m going to do an intro on why PPE is important, 3 paragraphs on philosophy, politics and economics individually, and then why i would benefit from the foundation year, and personal circumstances that have meant that such a programme would be an amazing opportunity for me
Reply 8
yeah haha i’m the same i never realised i was eligible either!
what are your gcses/btec grades like?

i’m using the pointers on the application form and going into detail on PPE, because you have more characters than a normal personal statement.

i’m going to do an intro on why PPE is important, 3 paragraphs on philosophy, politics and economics individually, and then why i would benefit from the foundation year, and personal circumstances that have meant that such a programme would be an amazing opportunity for me

My gcse grades are pretty average consisting of 5s and 4s, and my BTEC grade is D*DD which I’ve already achieved. I’m not the strongest applicant hence why I’m hesitant in applying, however I assume yours are better?!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by S1M001
My gcse grades are pretty average consisting of 5s and 4s, and my BTEC grade is D*DD which I’ve already achieved. I’m not the strongest applicant hence why I’m hesitant in applying, however I assume yours are better?!

Ahh yeh those are still good - the foundation year is about putting grades into context. I got A*888887777 which is ok but below average for ppe and then my a level predicted are A*A*A with an A* in a politics/economics/geography epq
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Ahh yeh those are still good - the foundation year is about putting grades into context. I got A*888887777 which is ok but below average for ppe and then my a level predicted are A*A*A with an A* in a politics/economics/geography epq

Wow. Those grades are incredible, there’s no way I’m getting in now haha. Are you also applying for Oxford through UCAS?
Original post by S1M001
Wow. Those grades are incredible, there’s no way I’m getting in now haha. Are you also applying for Oxford through UCAS?

Ahh honestly don’t worry!! As long as you have good a level/btec grades, which you do, then you’ll be fine!! I applied for Geography through ucas and was rejected pre-interview because of my gcses
Reply 12
Ahh honestly don’t worry!! As long as you have good a level/btec grades, which you do, then you’ll be fine!! I applied for Geography through ucas and was rejected pre-interview because of my gcses

Oh I’m sorry, but I’m wishing you the best of luck with this foundation year!! Please if you get any updates, just let me know and I’ll do the same.
Original post by S1M001
Oh I’m sorry, but I’m wishing you the best of luck with this foundation year!! Please if you get any updates, just let me know and I’ll do the same.

ahh no worries ahah - and ahh thank you, yes pm me and we can exchange details if u want :smile:
hi I applied for law too. I am predicted A* A B A, I don't think I'm the strongest applicant either, doubt ill get an interview
Original post by erinmc2002
hi I applied for law too. I am predicted A* A B A, I don't think I'm the strongest applicant either, doubt ill get an interview

yeah honestly i feel the same!! i’m applying for ppe :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by erinmc2002

Honestly, you’re a better applicant than I am so go for it. You’re already above the reduced offer so if you ace your personal statement and interview you’ll make a strong applicant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending