Greta_beecroft
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, would someone be able to give me a mark and feedback for this essay I wrote on the topic of Crime and Deviance in AQA sociology?
I have put it in a google document as I think it's too long to post on tsr.

Thank you!
Last edited by Greta_beecroft; 4 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You should really post essays online because it means they will be cached by google and flagged as plagiarism by any plagiarism checking software. Obviously not an issue if it's only an essay for A-level that will be marked internally by your teacher, but any externally marked essay and all essays written at uni will likely be run through such software.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Greta_beecroft)
Hi, would someone be able to give me a mark and feedback for this essay I wrote on the topic of Crime and Deviance in AQA sociology?
I have put it in a google document as I think it's too long to post on tsr.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Thank you!
I fully agree with what artful_lounger said about posting your essay online. If this was a uni essay, it will be cached by Google and potentially flagged as plagiarism by any plagiarism checking software such as Turnitin.

Anyways, I did study A-level Sociology and Crime and Deviance was one of the topics we were taught so I'm happy to give constructive feedback on the essay, but I can't give a mark.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
be careful to avoid plagiarism
Greta_beecroft
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You should really post essays online because it means they will be cached by google and flagged as plagiarism by any plagiarism checking software. Obviously not an issue if it's only an essay for A-level that will be marked internally by your teacher, but any externally marked essay and all essays written at uni will likely be run through such software.
I was a little worried by that, but there are other example essays online so I didn't think it would matter too much? Or is it still bad?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I was a little worried by that, but there are other example essays online so I didn't think it would matter too much? Or is it still bad?
It's not that other people will copy it - it's that google has a verbatim copy of your essay recorded in their web cache. That is what turnitin and similar things check for similarity reports, so if you submitted this as formal piece of assessment (i.e. A-level coursework, or a uni assignment) it would flag up with near 100% similarity to an existing "thing" on the internet, and they would assume you plagiarised it.

As I said, if it's just for an in class essay being marked by your teacher for A-level that isn't externally assessed coursework, it's fine. You should however not get into the habit of doing so because it does run the risks outlined above.
Greta_beecroft
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's not that other people will copy it - it's that google has a verbatim copy of your essay recorded in their web cache. That is what turnitin and similar things check for similarity reports, so if you submitted this as formal piece of assessment (i.e. A-level coursework, or a uni assignment) it would flag up with near 100% similarity to an existing "thing" on the internet, and they would assume you plagiarised it.

As I said, if it's just for an in class essay being marked by your teacher for A-level that isn't externally assessed coursework, it's fine. You should however not get into the habit of doing so because it does run the risks outlined above.
Oh okay, thank you that makes sense!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
x
I've just added some feedback via comments on your essay in Google Docs. The structure of the essay can definitely be improved - I would double-check with a teacher with the suggestion I made about how to structure an essay like this because I haven't studied A-level sociology for over 2 years. But, I remember at the time, this was how my teacher wanted us to structure our 20/30 markers. Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.94%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.07%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed