The tragedy of Boris Johnson

Watch
Starship Trooper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If you've read 48 laws of power you'll see that Boris is a master of having and gaining power whether self taught or is a natural. But his 'power' has taken him beyond his limit and he seems to loathe the job he has fought all his life for which makes him unique amongst modern Premiers.

Lefties often refer to him as Britain's Trump. In fact he's actually Britain's Biden: scant actual political conviction, an overwhelming wish to be liked (he doesn't care who actually runs things so long as he gets the limelight and credit) and tends to be driven by events beyond his control.

Trump of course loves attention but is very much driven to be in charge. Trump also lead the way for right wing populism whilst Boris reluctantly partially embraced it only when he saw what way the wind was blowing (and only partially). Trump also (like Thatcher) quite enjoys having enemies to grapple with. Boris on the other hand will often appear genuinely wounded as if he can't understand why people would not like him (another Biden trait).

His high point for me is when he took the action to kick out the 20 or so MPs that were obstructing him on Europe in a rare case of a politician actually "getting **** done" - at the behest of Cummings- but now that he's gone Boris has now lost all sense of purpose...

Boris is a man who sold his soul to be in high office only to realise he actually hates his job. I don't think Boris has actually thought about why he should be PM- whether it's what he actually wants or if it's actually a good thing.

You can see it in his eyes:
Boris is trapped within his own will to power, desperate to escape.
I hope one day he succeeds.
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is actually really interesting - it does seem he needs a break from the job and he has clearly aged a lot since gaining office.

Although it all stem to Covid, which has diverted all of the government's attention and resources while posing huge social costs to the population. Having battled with the virus in intensive care, then having to lead to country through the most challenging post-war crisis, it's clear any PM would feel the same. It seems just an unfortunate timing of events for Boris, especially given the problems of Brexit and now Scottish independence also.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by JOSH4598)
This is actually really interesting - it does seem he needs a break from the job and he has clearly aged a lot since gaining office.

Although it all stem to Covid, which has diverted all of the government's attention and resources while posing huge social costs to the population. Having battled with the virus in intensive care, then having to lead to country through the most challenging post-war crisis, it's clear any PM would feel the same. It seems just an unfortunate timing of events for Boris, especially given the problems of Brexit and now Scottish independence also.
Thanks

I dont think the problem is just as a result of Covid but has certainly made it a lot worse and that's before you get into brexit. Sadly he appears to be out of his depth
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your not wrong. While I have no great objection to most of what Boris does one of the reasons he was only my 4th preference for Tory leader was because he is motivated by his own desire to achieve power rather than bettering the country, he believes in pleasing people rather than any underlying beliefs.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Your not wrong. While I have no great objection to most of what Boris does one of the reasons he was only my 4th preference for Tory leader was because he is motivated by his own desire to achieve power rather than bettering the country, he believes in pleasing people rather than any underlying beliefs.
4th preference 🤣🤣🤣 you may as well say you didn't vote for him.
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Who were 1st, 2nd and 3rd?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
Who were 1st, 2nd and 3rd?
I was a fan of Gove, Raab, Stewart (Stewart more because I thought he could actually engage people rather than some of his views which were a too wet even for me).
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was a fan of Gove, Raab, Stewart (Stewart more because I thought he could actually engage people rather than some of his views which were a too wet even for me).
At least the first two are important government spokesmen under Boris
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
At least the first two are important government spokesmen under Boris
Yes. Raab actually supported Gove for leader in 2016 (I was Gove-Crabb-May).
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To be frank the entire tory cabinet are a bunch of criminals at this point. Incompetent, irascible, dangerous and they should all face charges for mass manslaughter for their offensive handling of the pandemic.
The true shame here is that Labour (or the LibDems in my book) have not only failed to make any better alternatives but conspicuously failed to ram home the point that the tories have moved from simply not really caring about the citizenry to actively facilitating their deaths. This coming from someone who used to support the one nation tory ideology that they have forsaken for naked ambition and a perverse fetishisation of brexit at all costs.. including 100,000 dead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%