charlie2156
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
During strenuous exercise there are changes in the human circulatory system.
Design an experiment to investigate the effect of exercise on heart rate.
Include details of the variables that will be controlled in the experiment.
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by charlie2156)
During strenuous exercise there are changes in the human circulatory system.
Design an experiment to investigate the effect of exercise on heart rate.
Include details of the variables that will be controlled in the experiment.
Why don't you post your answer and we will help you?
charlie2156
Rep:
?
(Original post by qwert7890)
Why don't you post your answer and we will help you?
I haven't started yet because I don't know where to start
qwert7890
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by charlie2156)
I haven't started yet because I don't know where to start
lmao ok. I will just type out my own answer and you can tell me where you are confused.

Independent variable: Exercise
Dependent variable: (change in) Heart rate

Hypothesis: Initially, greater the “exercise”, greater the heart rate. However, after a certain level of exercise, the heart rate should plateau.

Control variable: Firstly the people participating in the study should be “controlled”. Their body mass group, their lifestyle, their age group, etc. should all be controlled. Additionally external factors that may impact heart rate should be controlled (ex. caffeine intake). The type of exercise they do should also be controlled (example: running on a treadmill at the same inclination and at roughly the same speed) These are all I can think of.

How will you vary independent variable? The “strength” of exercise can be varied by varying the time for which they exercise. So you can set it like exercising for 5,10,15,20,25, 30 minutes, and then see how the heart rate varies for each time interval.

How is the dependent variable measured? Use a sphygmomanometer. Measure the change in heart rate (final heart rate after exercise - initial heart rate before exercise).

Determining results: Exclude any significant anomalies. Plot a graph of time of exercise (on X axis) against change in heart rate (on y axis).

I can’t remember what else to add to this. Ask me any questions you have.
charlie2156
Rep:
?
(Original post by qwert7890)
lmao ok. I will just type out my own answer and you can tell me where you are confused.

Independent variable: Exercise
Dependent variable: (change in) Heart rate

Hypothesis: Initially, greater the “exercise”, greater the heart rate. However, after a certain level of exercise, the heart rate should plateau.

Control variable: Firstly the people participating in the study should be “controlled”. Their body mass group, their lifestyle, their age group, etc. should all be controlled. Additionally external factors that may impact heart rate should be controlled (ex. caffeine intake). The type of exercise they do should also be controlled (example: running on a treadmill at the same inclination and at roughly the same speed) These are all I can think of.

How will you vary independent variable? The “strength” of exercise can be varied by varying the time for which they exercise. So you can set it like exercising for 5,10,15,20,25, 30 minutes, and then see how the heart rate varies for each time interval.

How is the dependent variable measured? Use a sphygmomanometer. Measure the change in heart rate (final heart rate after exercise - initial heart rate before exercise).

Determining results: Exclude any significant anomalies. Plot a graph of time of exercise (on X axis) against change in heart rate (on y axis).

I can’t remember what else to add to this. Ask me any questions you have.
okay, that has helped me out thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (218)
74.66%
No (74)
25.34%

Watched Threads