The Student Room Group

Help me choose a uni?

Hi,

I'm on a year out and have reapplied to two universities for a Joint Honours in History and Creative Writing. I don't plan on firming either for quite a while now (I'm waiting for DSA applications to open and to find out whether they'll help me get support among other things).
However, that said, I'm still thinking through things a lot and wouldn't mind some advice in advance on making my choice.

Both Universities:
- have been helpful so far regarding my queries about wellbeing/mental health
- have things that I'd like to do in the local area (parks, museums, heritage sites etc.)
- are less than two hours drive from where I live
- have modules I'm interested in, particularly for Creative Writing
- have societies I'd be interested in joining

However, there are some differences as Worcester uni:
- has a big library, which is shared w/ the public meaning I'd probably have more access to fiction for casual reading
- has much nicer looking accommodation
- has a few History modules relating to the heritage sector that are definitely available for joint honours

Whilst Chichester uni:
- has a much smaller student body (around 5,000 compared to around 10,000)
- on-campus self-catered flats are only shared between 4 people
- has an option for catered accommodation (something I'm potentially considering since I found eating difficult at uni last time)

If anyone has an opinion from looking at this or has some experience with either uni they'd be open to sharing, I'd be grateful for the assistance. Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've personally narrowed it down to Chichester and Aberystwyth for Creative Writing.

I'm leaning towards Chichester especially after a phone call with one of the lecturers who was extremely clear and informative. I empathise with your concerns about the accommodation but remember there's always the option of private accommodation (like renting a room) or moving if you're not comfortable where they put you. Chichester also has a public library fifteen minutes from campus as well as the one on Campus (which has three floors and a Costa).

I'm sorry this is one sided but I hope some of this information is useful :smile: If you choose Chichester, maybe I'll see you there.
Chichester is a small Uni in a lovely Sussex town. It will have a good 'community' feel.
Find the Open Day films on YouTube - and for the town itself.

If you need a feeling of security and comfort then go with Chichester - its important you feel 'at home', especially if you had a false start last year.
Reply 3
Original post by Deborah Rose
I've personally narrowed it down to Chichester and Aberystwyth for Creative Writing.

I'm leaning towards Chichester especially after a phone call with one of the lecturers who was extremely clear and informative. I empathise with your concerns about the accommodation but remember there's always the option of private accommodation (like renting a room) or moving if you're not comfortable where they put you. Chichester also has a public library fifteen minutes from campus as well as the one on Campus (which has three floors and a Costa).

I'm sorry this is one sided but I hope some of this information is useful :smile: If you choose Chichester, maybe I'll see you there.

Ooh, I also looked at Aberystwyth but decided it was too far away (although the course did look lovely).

I also happened to have a call with a couple of the lecturers yesterday and found that really helpful! - they were both lovely and answered all my questions, definitely reduced the few qualms I had about the course to basically nothing. And told me about the library too. Although it's nice to hear about the public library being nearby too. :smile:

Also I hadn't considered private accommodation (might look into it) but, after looking at it again, I think that the on-campus self-catered is actually not that bad. Especially since it's only got 4 people per flat and I've had contact w/ the uni that will hopefully mean I'll be able to ask to be put w/ quiet people.

So thank you! And, yes, maybe I'll see you there (I'm def leaning towards Chichester now). :smile: Also, apologies if I'm wrong, but are you by any chance the same Deborah who's on the Chichester creative writing Facebook chat?
Original post by userhep
Ooh, I also looked at Aberystwyth but decided it was too far away (although the course did look lovely).

I also happened to have a call with a couple of the lecturers yesterday and found that really helpful! - they were both lovely and answered all my questions, definitely reduced the few qualms I had about the course to basically nothing. And told me about the library too. Although it's nice to hear about the public library being nearby too. :smile:

Also I hadn't considered private accommodation (might look into it) but, after looking at it again, I think that the on-campus self-catered is actually not that bad. Especially since it's only got 4 people per flat and I've had contact w/ the uni that will hopefully mean I'll be able to ask to be put w/ quiet people.

So thank you! And, yes, maybe I'll see you there (I'm def leaning towards Chichester now). :smile: Also, apologies if I'm wrong, but are you by any chance the same Deborah who's on the Chichester creative writing Facebook chat?

Yes, that's me! I've been very active in finding everything related to the universities before I come to my final decision! I haven't been able to visit so the internet is all I have

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending