Q Can you intercalate at cambridge university as an external med student?

Watch
wyann LT
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Q Can you intercalate as an external med student at cambridge university (or is it based on what course u apply to)? bc I know u cant at Oxford uni.

If answer is no this link says you can intercalate for that particular course
https://www.hms.hps.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/faqs
wyann LT
Rep:
?
Q Can you intercalate as an external med student at cambridge university (or is it based on what course u apply to)? bc I know u cant at Oxford uni.

wyann LT
Rep:
?
Can you intercalate as an external med student at cambridge university (or is it based on what course u apply to)? bc I know u cant at Oxford uni.

threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by wyann LT)

Helenia ?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Well, that course says you can, so I guess the answer is yes for that.

However, note that this is an MPhil and not a BA (which is their standard undergraduate intercalated degree which Cambridge students do in year 3 of their course). AFAIK Cambridge do not accept external intercalators for the BA, but as the MPhil is a different course and probably makes them a nice bit of money in additional fees, it looks like that's an option. You'd have to get your original uni to release you for the year though, and I don't know if all of them would allow it.
wyann LT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
Well, that course says you can, so I guess the answer is yes for that.

However, note that this is an MPhil and not a BA (which is their standard undergraduate intercalated degree which Cambridge students do in year 3 of their course). AFAIK Cambridge do not accept external intercalators for the BA, but as the MPhil is a different course and probably makes them a nice bit of money in additional fees, it looks like that's an option. You'd have to get your original uni to release you for the year though, and I don't know if all of them would allow it.
So I would presume u would already have to have gained the intercalated degree bsc to apply for the Mphil whilst at med school, as the mphil degree is a post grad degree? Or can you straight away apply to the mphil without the intercalated degree but this seems strange since you have not finished either of your med degree or intercalated degree yet
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
So I would presume u would already have to have gained the intercalated degree bsc to apply for the Mphil whilst at med school, as the mphil degree is a post grad degree? Or can you straight away apply to the mphil without the intercalated degree but this seems strange since you have not finished either of your med degree or intercalated degree yet
I have no idea. All I know is what it says on the website - they want you to have completed 3 years of your medicine course. It doesn't specify whether you need to already have an intercalated BSc/equivalent or not.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The impression I've got from looking into this as a med student who hasn't yet intercalated, is that quite a few unis offer intercalated Master's degrees for students intercalating after 3rd year and you don't need to have done a BSc/BA first.

Eg from Bristol: "External students can study a BSc or BA after two or more years of study on their professional programme. Three years of a professional programme need to be completed for entry on to our Master’s level programmes. University of Bristol Medical and Veterinary students can only intercalate between years 3 and 4 of their programme for either a BSc/BA or Masters." http://www.bristol.ac.uk/health-scie...e/intercalate/

Of course, Master's programmes may be more competitive or 'harder' - I haven't looked into it in that much detail.
wyann LT
Rep:
?
(Original post by becausethenight)
The impression I've got from looking into this as a med student who hasn't yet intercalated, is that quite a few unis offer intercalated Master's degrees for students intercalating after 3rd year and you don't need to have done a BSc/BA first.

Eg from Bristol: "External students can study a BSc or BA after two or more years of study on their professional programme. Three years of a professional programme need to be completed for entry on to our Master’s level programmes. University of Bristol Medical and Veterinary students can only intercalate between years 3 and 4 of their programme for either a BSc/BA or Masters." http://www.bristol.ac.uk/health-scie...e/intercalate/

Of course, Master's programmes may be more competitive or 'harder' - I haven't looked into it in that much detail.
Do you think the same applies to intercalating phds or is it just with masters at cambridge?
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Do you think the same applies to intercalating phds or is it just with masters at cambridge?
Intercalating PhDs seems (to me at least) to be a totally different kettle of fish to intercalating a BSc/MSc, so you should look into that seperately?

I would be really surprised if you'd be allowed to do a PhD with zero previous experience - at Imperial for example they are quite clear that as an A100 student it would be after your BSc and you need at least a 2.1 in your BSc (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/.../medicine-phd/)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads