First year University

Watch this thread
lalalandoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
will I get more marks if I only use academic books(more than the required amount)? for example, the uni says to use at least 6 academic books and the rest journals, but then I use only books and no journals.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lalalandoo)
will I get more marks if I only use academic books(more than the required amount)? for example, the uni says to use at least 6 academic books and the rest journals, but then I use only books and no journals.
If the journal articles are relevant why wouldn't you use them?
lalalandoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
If the journal articles are relevant why wouldn't you use them?
i would use them of course but I am asking if I would get more marks if I used only textbooks,relevant textbooks
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
i would use them of course but I am asking if I would get more marks if I used only textbooks,relevant textbooks
No you wouldn't.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hiya lalalandoo,

I would recommend to always include a range of resources, especially if your university has stated to included academic books and journals.

I find using Google Scholar is best for articles. You can type in your topics of interest and then Google Scholar suggest lots of suitable articles from different websites such as Science Direct, Research gate, Springer, Sage Publishing and Elsevier. There are lots to chose from Plus its great practice as you will start to focus on research articles and journals a lot throughout your degree.

Sam- Official Student Rep
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You aren't really normally being marked on what is in your bibliography, you're being marked on how you use that in your essay. Provided it's used in a relevant way, you've referenced it correctly, and the text is an appropriate academic source, it doesn't matter whether it's a book or journal article. Depending on your field as well as the above Brill and JSTOR can be good resources for searching for academic material (particularly for non-STEM courses).

I would note in that vein as well, the exact composition of your bibliography will probably depend somewhat on your field; STEM fields tend to using more journal articles, while humanities fields tend to using more academic books for referencing, in my experience. Also the "use by date" of material is quite different in different fields; in most STEM fields anything older than 5-10 years is often getting to be a bit too out of date to use as a reference except for historical/"culture" background. In the humanities though some of the things you might reference could over a century old and still very relevant!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
30.88%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
38.24%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (3)
4.41%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.41%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.88%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.24%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.47%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.47%

Watched Threads