If an object is dropped how can its velocity be zero but acceleration be 9.81?

Watch this thread
dani__
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
also how would you work this out from a velocity time graph of a falling object?
uberteknik
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dani__)
also how would you work this out from a velocity time graph of a falling object?
All measurements are referenced from a stationary object. For instance, before dropping, it is a fixed distance from the ground - it is not moving so velocity = 0 m/s

The acceleration is due to gravity which is a constant force acting on the object - even when it is stationary. i.e. acceleration = force / mass and since the force acting and the mass of the object are both constant, acceleration must also remain constant. the gravitational force is held in check by the equal and opposite reaction of the restraint holding the object stationary.

If the object is in motion (say thrown vertically), the gravitational force will cause deceleration and at some point the object will reverse direction and accelerate towards the ground. NB at the apex of travel, the object must at pass through a point of zero velocity.

From a velocity / time graph, zero velocity is indicated by no gradient. i.e. the graph is a flat line or at a point of inflection where the gradient is zero.
Last edited by uberteknik; 1 year ago
dani__
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
21.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
17.39%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.7%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
26.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
21.74%

Watched Threads