jake1894637
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I'm applying for politics undergrad, and I've already applied for and got offers from Bristol, Manchester, and Newcastle. I applied for Cambridge but got rejected earlier this week - but I was only applying to see if I can get in anyway.

I've left this until the absolute last moment as this is the last day before the UCAS deadline... I still have one option left and I can't decide between Edinburgh and Liverpool for politics.

I don't really like the city of Edinburgh bc I find it too small/touristy/not good for nightlife, but the course looks better overall, and it's ranked much higher.

I much prefer the city of Liverpool, but the university and course is ranked much lower. I don't really like the look of the first year because it's essentially a repeat of what I did for politics A-Level, but I do like the second and third years because there's optional modules.

So basically, my heart's set on Liverpool - mainly for the place; but my head goes with Edinburgh - beacuse it's higher in the rankings and the course is overall better because there's more options.

I'm predicted A* A* A. Any advice is appreciated!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1) Rankings and League Tables will not tell you if you will enjoy that course or you will like being at that Uni - its also a very lazy way of picking a University.

2) Going to University will not be a repeat of your Politics A level believe me, and if you think it will be then you might like to reconsider your entire UCAS application.
jake1894637
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
1) Rankings and League Tables will not tell you if you will enjoy that course or you will like being at that Uni - its also a very lazy way of picking a University.

2) Going to University will not be a repeat of your Politics A level believe me, and if you think it will be then you might like to reconsider your entire UCAS application.
No ofc it isn't!! But i spoke to a person who did politics at my sixth form and has just finished politics year 1 at Liverpool, and he said that it was a bit of a drag bc it was very similar to what we do at A-Level at my sixth form
jake1894637
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)

Also, this is my dilemma - because I know that I will enjoy the course at Edinburgh more, but I will enjoy being at the University of Liverpool more.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The course is more important - its the course you will be studying every day for the next three/four years, not the University.

Or of course you could look at other Universities - Cardiff, Leeds, Glasgow, Warwick etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads