The Student Room Group

How lenient is Loughborough?

Hi. I’ve recently got an offer from Loughborough to study Industrial Design. It’s my top choice so suffice to say, I’m pretty chuffed with this. The grade requirements are ABB, and I’m predicted AAC, which is equivalent but not quite the same. I applied with these grades so the uni would’ve seen it, but if I end up with these grades I’m not sure if I’d be accepted.

The C is in maths, which I’m struggling a decent amount in. I reckon with a good amount of work, I can get the C, but a B would be very aspirational. Assuming I got AAC, what would my chances of still getting accepted be? Would the fact that my course is practical and coursework based make a difference since I also had to send off a portfolio and design task off? (I’m assuming they liked it since I got an offer, haven’t had personalised feedback or anything)

Has anyone gotten into a course at Loughborough (doesn’t have to be exact same as mine) with equivalent grades? Or even one below?
Original post by DOOODARS
Hi. I’ve recently got an offer from Loughborough to study Industrial Design. It’s my top choice so suffice to say, I’m pretty chuffed with this. The grade requirements are ABB, and I’m predicted AAC, which is equivalent but not quite the same. I applied with these grades so the uni would’ve seen it, but if I end up with these grades I’m not sure if I’d be accepted.

The C is in maths, which I’m struggling a decent amount in. I reckon with a good amount of work, I can get the C, but a B would be very aspirational. Assuming I got AAC, what would my chances of still getting accepted be? Would the fact that my course is practical and coursework based make a difference since I also had to send off a portfolio and design task off? (I’m assuming they liked it since I got an offer, haven’t had personalised feedback or anything)

Has anyone gotten into a course at Loughborough (doesn’t have to be exact same as mine) with equivalent grades? Or even one below?

Hi @DOOODARS,

The admissions requirements vary from course to course and it also depends on the number of candidates applying in that particular year etc etc. I'm waiting for some advice from our admissions team as I wouldn't want to advise you incorrectly but please bear in mind that I may not respond until Monday :smile:

Best wishes
Bindu
Reply 2
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @DOOODARS,

The admissions requirements vary from course to course and it also depends on the number of candidates applying in that particular year etc etc. I'm waiting for some advice from our admissions team as I wouldn't want to advise you incorrectly but please bear in mind that I may not respond until Monday :smile:

Best wishes
Bindu

Thank you very much

Hi applied about 10 days ago and got an email today saying I've been shortlisted and they need me to send off a portfolio and design task within the next two weeks, but I have no idea where to start :s-smilie:. How long did it take you to put yours together and do you have any tips for completing it? (I applied for Product Design and Technology btw).

But I think that I also have sort of the same query, I've got lower predicted grades than the entry requirements, as the requirements are ABB and I'm only predicted ABC (the C is in maths as well, don't worry you're not alone, I struggle with it quite a bit :five:). So I was also wondering, especially since our exams have technically been cancelled, if I do end up getting an offer after submitting my portfolio and design task but only achieve grades ABC on results day would I still be accepted onto the course?
Reply 4
Original post by Hayley_21
Hi applied about 10 days ago and got an email today saying I've been shortlisted and they need me to send off a portfolio and design task within the next two weeks, but I have no idea where to start :s-smilie:. How long did it take you to put yours together and do you have any tips for completing it? (I applied for Product Design and Technology btw).

But I think that I also have sort of the same query, I've got lower predicted grades than the entry requirements, as the requirements are ABB and I'm only predicted ABC (the C is in maths as well, don't worry you're not alone, I struggle with it quite a bit :five:). So I was also wondering, especially since our exams have technically been cancelled, if I do end up getting an offer after submitting my portfolio and design task but only achieve grades ABC on results day would I still be accepted onto the course?

Nice to know I’m not the only one in the same boat. As for the design task, I recommend either getting an actual client with a simple task (so for example, mine wanted a more efficient coffee filter for his cafetière grinds) alternatively go on a brief generator website/app and pick one you like. Ideally you want to do the ASAP. I spent the whole two weeks doing it on and off as that’s how I work best, some other people sat down doing it for two whole days. First page do research, so user testing, outlining the problem, what your product needs to solve. Second page initial ideas and feedback (feedback is easier with client) and then third page addressing the feedback and showcasing the final design and how it feedback to the brief
Nice to know I’m not the only one in the same boat. As for the design task, I recommend either getting an actual client with a simple task (so for example, mine wanted a more efficient coffee filter for his cafetière grinds) alternatively go on a brief generator website/app and pick one you like. Ideally you want to do the ASAP. I spent the whole two weeks doing it on and off as that’s how I work best, some other people sat down doing it for two whole days. First page do research, so user testing, outlining the problem, what your product needs to solve. Second page initial ideas and feedback (feedback is easier with client) and then third page addressing the feedback and showcasing the final design and how it feedback to the brief

Hello again @DOOODARS,

I now have an answer to your original question.

When we receive the A level results, applicants who meet the offer conditions are accepted. We then look at the applicants who have equivalent grades to their offer conditions and if places are available on the course they have applied for then they will be accepted. However they will need to meet the requirements for any compulsory or required subjects if applicable. If an applicant has just missed their offer and again we have places available then we will then look to make concessionary offers.

I hope this helps in some way. Do let me know if you have any other questions..... and good luck.
Bindu
Reply 6
Hello again @DOOODARS,

I now have an answer to your original question.

When we receive the A level results, applicants who meet the offer conditions are accepted. We then look at the applicants who have equivalent grades to their offer conditions and if places are available on the course they have applied for then they will be accepted. However they will need to meet the requirements for any compulsory or required subjects if applicable. If an applicant has just missed their offer and again we have places available then we will then look to make concessionary offers.

I hope this helps in some way. Do let me know if you have any other questions..... and good luck.
Bindu

Brilliant, thank you. Sorry but what does concessionary offer mean? Thanks

Thanks so much,:h: I'll probably have to get started right away before I run out of time because I don't cope well under time related stress.
Reply 8
Original post by Hayley_21
Thanks so much,:h: I'll probably have to get started right away before I run out of time because I don't cope well under time related stress.

Yeah definitely do it sooner rather than later!
Brilliant, thank you. Sorry but what does concessionary offer mean? Thanks

Hi @DOOODARS,

No problem - with regards to concessionary offers, it all depends on how the rest of the cohort has performed. If most meet or exceed their offer, then receiving a concessionary offer is less likely, however, if the majority drop a grade, then it will be more likely. It all depends on the cohort's performance for that particular year and the number of places available. I hope that makes sense?
Bindu
Reply 10
Hi @DOOODARS,

No problem - with regards to concessionary offers, it all depends on how the rest of the cohort has performed. If most meet or exceed their offer, then receiving a concessionary offer is less likely, however, if the majority drop a grade, then it will be more likely. It all depends on the cohort's performance for that particular year and the number of places available. I hope that makes sense?
Bindu

Ahh ok so it’s based on the average. Brilliant thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest